War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I personally led my men with sword in hand through some serious fire to route the yanks out of their strong defensive position at Boatswain's Creek in the 7 Days , my boys captured 22 yankee cannons previuosly hub to hub and spitting out death. .

I am reading a book about these battles now, but havent got to that part yet..... It sure sounds like that old Ga General J.B. Gordon to me.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I once said the Etowah was the Rubicon of Ga.

I have read several books about the rascal who made that statement.

It was that villian WT Sherman (had to spit to get the taste of that name out of my mouth) ;)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have read several books about the rascal who made that statement.

It was that villian WT Sherman (had to spit to get the taste of that name out of my mouth) ;)

OK, Jim got the answer on the Hood question. Was I right with Sherman making the statement about the Etowah ?

westcobbdog

yes sir, Sherman called the Etowah the Rubicon of Ga.

Yes Justus ,JB Hood led his troops personally into a hornets nest and dislodged a strong Federal force from a tough defensive position.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I claim to have fired 120 shots in one day and that I hit a man with almost every shot.......who am I

westcobbdog

Co Aytch...Sam Watkins of TN.

I live near that spot. Too many dead yanks became a human abatis that day and kept the good guys position from being over run.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I claim to have fired 120 shots in one day and that I hit a man with almost every shot.......who am I

Co Aytch...Sam Watkins of TN.

I live near that spot. Too many dead yanks became a human abatis that day and kept the good guys position from being over run.

Indeed it was Sam Watkins. In my reading of Company Aytch it seemed to me that Mr. Watkins may have embellished himself a tad in his memories of the war, but it was almost 20 years after the war when he wrote that book.

Our SCV group is doing a field trip to the Dead Angle next month. A historian is giving a 2 hour walking tour of the Cheatham Hill area.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

I had to get working early this morning so I missed my chance to say:

You sir are a braggart and, most probably, a liar to boot.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Indeed it was Sam Watkins. In my reading of Company Aytch it seemed to me that Mr. Watkins may have embellished himself a tad in his memories of the war, but it was almost 20 years after the war when he wrote that book.

Our SCV group is doing a field trip to the Dead Angle next month. A historian is giving a 2 hour walking tour of the Cheatham Hill area.

I had to get working early this morning so I missed my chance to say:

You sir are a braggart and, most probably, a liar to boot.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jim it would appear we are in agreement on some of the statements in that book. One I found to be quite amusing was where he stated that he walked right up the General Hood and got his wounded leave after one of the Tennesse battles. I kinda doubt General Hood was in the mode of issuing leaves .

westcobbdog

But near the end Hood was a train wreck emotionally, so he might have signed Sam's request.

I like Sam's recollection of the yella hammer alabamer flicker flicker flicker story..Bama soldiers turned and ran one battle and had to walk past the other Southern troops afterward and were taunted mercilessly with hundreds of flicker flicker flickers...

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A great book for it's perspective. Most were written with a view from the top down, this with a view from the bottom up. Sam did allow himself quite a bit of poetic license on occasion.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What southern city was under seige during the wbts and had been seiged in an earlier war??

Status
Not open for further replies.