Newbie Elk Hunter

Looking into doing my first elk hunt. I have a buddy that lives in Wyoming but I have 5 years before I have enough points to get drawn. I would like to go Elk hunting sooner than that. Can anyone point me to another public area or unit to put in for that doesn't take 4+ years to get drawn? Not looking for exact spot, if you could just tell me Unit or Area to put in for to start building points would help tremendously.

Thanks for your time and help! God Bless

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Looking into doing my first elk hunt. I have a buddy that lives in Wyoming but I have 5 years before I have enough points to get drawn. I would like to go Elk hunting sooner than that. Can anyone point me to another public area or unit to put in for that doesn't take 4+ years to get drawn? Not looking for exact spot, if you could just tell me Unit or Area to put in for to start building points would help tremendously.

Thanks for your time and help! God Bless

Colorado is your best bet, tons of over the counter opportunity and plenty of draw units with an almost guarantee of drawing with no points. Use this website to find a unit that's OTC or good draw odds and also has a high success rate for the season you choose. Unless you plan to archery hunt, I would opt for the muzzleloader or first rifle season.

http://www.toprut.com/hunt/colorado-elk/

roperdoc

Look in to applying for points in several states. Colorado and New Mexico especially. The initial money outlay can be tough but it will be refunded and at least you are building points each year in some states while you hunt in others.
Colorado is a great bargain with over the counter tags and a lot of good public land hunting. OTC tags and archery hunts allow you to hunt there while you also save preference points.
DIY hunts are an inexpensive way to begin learning, just don't get hung up that every hunt has to result in a kill to be "successful". Each trip helps you learn an area and skills.
Consider a camping trip in the summer as a way to learn an area and scout. It's an awesome way to get out of the Ga heat for a week and maybe trout fish a little. Read forums in the meantime, and join the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Also, don't forget about closer to home hunts like Kentucky. And apply for other tags such as mule deer also. You never know when you'll find a honey hole one year and want to go back the next year for mule deer while you rebuild pref points for elk.

dtala

get in thin air, mountain shape. You will not enjoy any trip to the west elk hunting if you cannot climb and hunt. Everyone has trouble the first couple of days, but those in shape acclimate faster and last longer. Stairs, steps, bleachers are you long term friend. Flat ground running won't do it. You need to work those downhill muscles as well as the uphill muscles.

Third trip I went on my partner was a 25 year old surveyor that saw no need to run up and down. He was sick as a dog the first night and ended up at the hospital and was washed out the entire trip. Next trip he got in shape.

acurasquirrel

There are a couple easy to draw units in WY for non-residents. The reason being is the best hunting is in wilderness area which requires a guide or a resident to be with you at all times. Might be worth looking at.

lampern

get in thin air, mountain shape. You will not enjoy any trip to the west elk hunting if you cannot climb and hunt. Everyone has trouble the first couple of days, but those in shape acclimate faster and last longer. Stairs, steps, bleachers are you long term friend. Flat ground running won't do it. You need to work those downhill muscles as well as the uphill muscles.

Third trip I went on my partner was a 25 year old surveyor that saw no need to run up and down. He was sick as a dog the first night and ended up at the hospital and was washed out the entire trip. Next trip he got in shape.

Still if you hunt out west some folks just cannot handle the altitude sickness no matter what.

Being in shape, as said, helps

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I didn't really prepare for my trip this year like I should have, but I did fine in the altitude. We scouted back in May, so I already had an idea how I would handle the altitude and terrain.

For anyone that has never exerted energy at 10,000+ feet, I highly recommend picking up a prescription for Diamox on your first trip. One of the guys in our group had a rough time, but it straightened him out overnight.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Maybe but there are no points to mess with and it’s far closer than Colorado or Wyoming with bigger bodied bulls

I still apply for KY, but with points your odds get better each year. One of my buddies got drawn a few years ago and killed a huge bull. With Colorado you can go whenever you want.

QuackAddict

I just replied to you PM. Give me a call and I will tell you what I have learned over the past 13 years of hunting Colorado.

plumber_1969

Like others have said on here, Colorado is easy. Just got get a OTC license and hunt. Do not over think a unit, you will drive yourself crazy doing this. Get some good gear and better boots (2 pair) and break those suckers in. Start training now! You do not have to be a triathlete to do this. You need to be in good cardio shape and have good legs. Do not worry about burning your legs out because the first two day you wont go more than two hundred yards without gasping for air. We camped at 8600 feet and hunted from 10,000 and above.

The first time you hear an elk bugle, you will be hooked. The sights alone are worth the trip out west. We have a few points each for Wyoming and it will probably be another year or two before we get drawn although there is always a minute chance.

PM me if you have any questions about gear or locations and I will give you what info I have on the state.

Kirk

lampern

One thing to note about Colorado is some units have antler restrictions on bull elk taken.

Just something to be aware of when looking for a unit.

godogs57

I love New Mexico. However, they do not have a points system like other states do.

Fighting crowds in CO can/will be very frustrating. If you want to get into the elk game now, while waiting on your WY points to accumulate, I can think of no better way to get started, being new to the game, than to go on a late season cow elk hunt on a ranch somewhere out west. Pretty much slam dunk odds at success, you get to see gorgeous scenery, you get a feel for what to expect later on (preparation wise, terrain wise, etc) and your money spent will be minimal. Success will also allow you to bring home the best tasting meat you’ll ever experience!

As others have said, get in shape (that doesn’t mean just walking around the block every evening), get a quality pair of boots (not $99.99 closeout Rockys!) and good merino wool socks.

Best of luck. PM me if you have any questions.

plumber_1969

If you do your research correctly, you can and will minimize the other hunters you will see. Look for closed roads/gates and start walking. If you get a mile from the road you will rarely see anyone else. Last year we saw a grand total of two other hunters in Colorado (during the last week and a half of archery season) in the woods. 3 miles in we saw only a single boot print that was weeks old. Look up what a plyometric box is, get a good pack frame and work up to 50 pounds of sand bags in it while stepping up and down on that box. You can make the box for $25 and get some good trekking poles for balance. Nothing is flat and everything is uphill, it is just a joke but it sure seems like it.

Also, you don't need to call every 30 seconds. Read a lot about this and learn the elks language and cow call more than bugle if bow hunting. PM if you have questions.