Advice for coming off of methadone.

harderthansoft

My son was addicted to pain pills for 2 years. Went and got put on methadone. Now he wants to come off the methadone.

Has anyone had any experience with the pathways facility in Troup county?

REDMOND1858

Have taken several patients to Pathways to drop them off. Only thing I know about it is the first 10 minutes. As soon as the patient walks in the door, they “lay down the law”......can’t have this can’t have that you will do this, won’t do that. Seems like a no nonsense kinda place. However from what I’ve seen, it rarely comes down to the facility used, but the person using it. And how bad they want it. Methadone is no different than any other drug. If the patient isn’t willing to completely change their lifestyle, there is little hope. You mentioned in you post the he wants to come off of it.....that’s a good start. Most never get to that point.

kaddiddle

Most clinics gradually reduces the dosage. Clinics will not volunteer to do this as the longer they keep you hooked the more money they get. The Savannah area charges $12-$14 dollars per day. In short the patient has to request to be tapered of the drugs or enter a detox facility that will help reduce withdraw.

harderthansoft

So we went to pathways this morning. Was there at 9 am. They have told us to come to the ER for him to be evaluated and cleared to enter a detox program. Even after he is cleared it still depends on a bed opening for him to be entered in to the detox center.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I can't offer any advice but I can offer prayers for your son and you and your family

harderthansoft

So today he signed himself out. They actually said he is detoxed. But I would of like see him stay for at least 5 to 7 days.
He said that the reason he wanted out was because he wasn't in there with folks detoxing. He said he was in there with what he called crazy folk. Said he didn't feel safe and the medical staff really done little to help him.
The positive thing is though he was on pills and alcohol 2 years ago. Then stopped both and went to get the methadone. Then over the weekend said he didn't want be on it no more. He had 4 doses that he dumped in the yard when we got home. He made the statement , I don't won't be on this stuff. It will kill ya. So I believe there is hope.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
prayers for stability and peace in your family, and strength for your son