Electrical wiring question

j_seph

I have a neighbor who has a ditch witch and has offered to dig me a trench about 75 foot long. I want to run power out to my boat carport. Also I have access to some of the rolled black plastic pipe about an inch, maybe inch and a half diameter. Under the back of the house we have two outlets. Could, or would it be safe to trench in this water pipe and come out under the house, other end coming up to carport. Then taking 14 or 12 gauge romax, adding a male plug to it under the house, run the romax through the buried pipe, adding a GFC female plug inside the carport in a weatherproof box? If safe it would save me having to deal with permits to run to panel box and taking off to meet inspector.
Thanks

Jim Baker

Staff member
To much sugar for the dime. Just use underground rated cable.

It is hard to push romex down a pipe. Unless you have 80ft of a snake line of some kind to pull the romex through pipe you are going to struggle to push 85 ft. through. ( I am using the lenght you gave for the roll pipe. Pretty sure that you will have code problems also. Buried conduit is suppose to be gray and UL rated.

j_seph

How's anyone going to know?
Well I put up a 18 x 36 foot metal carport and didn't realize that after 350 sf you had to buy a permit so that is a $100 plus 8 cents per sf over 350. I figure it is a matter of time before I get the slap on the wrist. Then if they show up and I am hardwired in my other wrist is slapped. Fella at work said he did this in Florida so essentially you are running a drop cord not wiring.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Well I put up a 18 x 36 foot metal carport and didn't realize that after 350 sf you had to buy a permit so that is a $100 plus 8 cents per sf over 350. I figure it is a matter of time before I get the slap on the wrist. Then if they show up and I am hardwired in my other wrist is slapped. Fella at work said he did this in Florida so essentially you are running a drop cord not wiring.

I think he is right. Basically an extention cord. The person you have to worry about is the Home Inspector if you ever sell. Buried UF line is code. Romex in black water pipe is not. You wuld have to redo it.

When I replace my attic vent fans I ran the leads to attic outlet and put plugs on tthem so I don't have to cut the power to replace the fans next time. Been running like that for 6 or 7 years now. Don't see a safety issue with what you want to do if you use UF cable and a GFI outlet at the shed.

I am not a licensed electrician.

Just remember you can't run any heavier wire than what is in the existing outlet. Check the guage to be sure. More than likely #12 but better safe than sorry.

baddave

i think i'm following what you're doing .. you want to tie into an existing circuit for power to your boat house.. i agree you could use uf cable .. but i would just kill the circuit and go into that box and tie into it ..and jimbo , you can go bigger , just not smaller .. hope that helps ,if not i'd talk w/ ya .. i've been doing this since 1974

Jim Baker

Staff member
i think i'm following what you're doing .. you want to tie into an existing circuit for power to your boat house.. i agree you could use uf cable .. but i would just kill the circuit and go into that box and tie into it ..and jimbo , you can go bigger , just not smaller .. hope that helps ,if not i'd talk w/ ya .. i've been doing this since 1974

And you are right. Got my flow backwords. Got ahead of my self. You want the same apmp protection all the way to the outlet.

UF Cable is the way to go. No way I would try to run romex through black water pipe.

RedRyder

Determine what you plan on running and the amps you think it will take to run the items. Voltage drops over distance and 14 or 12 wire won't give you much power at the other end.

There are plenty of voltage/distance calculators online that will tell you what you need.

If you attempt to run to much on the "extension cord" and over heat it causing a fire you will have more problems then a home inspector finding it.

baddave

w/ all due respect RR.. he's talkin a utility outlet 75' away .. it's not complicated use #12 --12/2 wg.... but if it was mine , i would drive a grnd rod , connect to frame..

JohnK

No nothing about it but I'm dubious about the county not taxing the addition as powered no matter how it got there. I'd run uf straight from the panel to the carport and use the ground at the main panel, not at the carport. I built a double garage on the turn around one time and when I finally hooked up the wires and turned around the tax lady was standing there.

baddave

w/ all due respect RR.. he's talkin a utility outlet 75' away .. it's not complicated use #12 --12/2 wg.... but if it was mine , i would drive a grnd rod , connect to frame..

for some reason i'm visualizing a metal shed .. if it's wood u would not necessarily need a grnd rod .. but i personally like to give lightning a good escape route rather than back into the house .. lightning goes all over the place as it is.. just absorb as much as possible w/ a rod .. too easy and i can tell by your question you are not real anxious to get into your panel and add a breaker and i don't think it's necessary .. it depends on a lot of things .. for all i know your panel is not easy to get to or out of.. i'm not tryin to be a smart azz, i've just done this kind of thing a million times :cool: