Laser bore sights

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Anyone got a recommendation for a laser bore sight set?

Many thanks.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have used a laser bore sighter to get a gun close and on paper, but not for final sighting. For getting it close, I put the crosshairs on the laser at 25 yards. Then shoot it on paper. After it is sighted in the way I want, I go back and let take a look at where the crosshairs are in relation to the laser. Supposedly, after this point you could use your laser on a trip to see if your scope has been impacted by the travel. I've never had to do this.
The laser I use has different caliber extensions on the back of it for different caliber bores. It is not one of those that goes into the chamber, but it sticks out of the end of the barrel. I don't recall the brand name...

I've tried several laser bore sighters, including those enclosed in a "cartridge' and have never found any to work well. However, I do use a mechanical bore sighter with changeable arbors and have had excellent success with it. About 99percent of the time on target (paper) at 50 yards. I don't even bother looking through the barrel to bore sight my bolt rifles unless there's no arbor for that size bore (9.3 comes to mind)

Another big plus to a mechanical system (collimator) is that you can also use it to center your reticle and also to check the adjustment accuracy on a scope.

jmoser

Sold mine and only use visual bore sighting now.
On the very few rifles that you cannot see thru from breech 1 shot at 25 yards tells you all you need to know.
I have invested in a rail mount bubble level that is invaluable for getting reticle aligned properly, much better to spend your $ on that.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Thanks all.

I am aware that a bore sight gets you on the paper. Just wondering how well the case based lasers functioned.

Big7

The Oracle
AimShot Universal Laser Bore Sight.

It will get you real close.

Most cartridges are either a dead fit or have a bushing
that will work.

Your info says "Georgia".

If you are in driving distance to Monroe (Walton County)
I can loan you mine.

If you want to buy one, they are a little less than I paid
for mine. At the time, $89.00. Pretty sure you can get the set
for around sixty now.

Another option, if you are talking about bolt actions?
Take the bolt out, lock the rifle in a shooting bag
(a "work-mate" will do) Look down the bore to a small target
and click the scope until you are looking at the same thing
through the bore and the scope.

That's how we did it in the old days.

Three or four shots and you will be there.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Either will work as long as you are familiar with it and its limitations.
A collimator is good as long as you compensate for the height of the scope mounts (usually dictated by objective lens).
Laser is true line of sight, get off a few yards from where you took your readings and it will have an effect down range.
IMHO strictly preference.

Bigmonk96

I use the "spent shell"" cartridge type and another brand that is cheaper, but forgot the name? ( bought them off e-bay } line it up on a building or wall about 40yds.away and you're close to target eye - I have had them be on bulls-eye a few time with just the laser sighter* -- never had a problem -- ( batteries don't last long ) -- I have two, 1 fits ( 30-06,25-06,270 ) and the other fits ( 308, & 7mm-08 )

IMG_0701 (2).jpg