Creating Transgendered Persimmon Trees: Updated 14 months later

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you are going to be very successful with the grafting. Congrats.

I grafted about 15 persimmons, and only had one that didn't take. And it looked like some critter had bumped it and knocked the graft loose before it had a chance to take hold.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I grafted about 15 persimmons, and only had one that didn't take. And it looked like some critter had bumped it and knocked the graft loose before it had a chance to take hold.

Put a camera on them so we can finally see a picture of a sasquatch or black panther..We all know they both live up in your neck of the woods.:rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Almost a year later update:

Went and did some pruning on the grafted trees last weekend. Most of them put on several feet of growth last year. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some fruit on some of them this year. It's almost time to start grafting again.

Here are two pics of the same tree-mid-May last year a few weeks after grafting, and last weekend after pruning over half of the new growth off of it:

Attachments

• persimmon2.png
    persimmon2.png
    983 KB · Views: 437
  • 1yeartree.jpeg
    1yeartree.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 434

ucfireman

The second pic is nice to see. I thought you were doing the grafting to small seedlings not larger trees. I might buy some seedlings from the GFS and try to graft some buds to them so I can be sure I get fruit. But I have no experience grafting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They need to be about pinky-sized or bigger to bark graft. Bark grafting is the only way to go, IMO. Google "bark grafting persimmons" and there are several good videos and pages out there that will show you how. The main thing is to cut your scion wood while it's still dormant and keep it in the fridge, then graft after the rootstock trees leaf out.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Look'n goot Billy from da hill.

Any chance when they bloom, if they haven't already, you could post some pictures of the blooms so we could see the difference? Would be appreciated mucho much as I am going to try to start from some seed and would like to transgender some to not be sexist. Or at least any more so than I already am. Thanks

ucfireman

To any one with experience, Can you root persimmon from cuttings? I have good success with figs and roses but haven't tried "woody plants". I did try a couple apples and pears a week or 2 ago (still waiting) but want to try persimmons. I have rooting hormone but just dont want to waste time and effort if they wont root.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look'n goot Billy from da hill.

Any chance when they bloom, if they haven't already, you could post some pictures of the blooms so we could see the difference? Would be appreciated mucho much as I am going to try to start from some seed and would like to transgender some to not be sexist. Or at least any more so than I already am. Thanks

Male flowers will be in clusters. Female flowers are single.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To any one with experience, Can you root persimmon from cuttings? I have good success with figs and roses but haven't tried "woody plants". I did try a couple apples and pears a week or 2 ago (still waiting) but want to try persimmons. I have rooting hormone but just dont want to waste time and effort if they wont root.

Persimmons are tough to root. If you have Rootone and a mist system, you might get some rooted from semi-hardwood cuttings, but you won't get many. I think grafting male seedlings is the best way to get good persimmons. We grafted about 70 more last weekend.

Forest Grump

Persimmons are tough to root. If you have Rootone and a mist system, you might get some rooted from semi-hardwood cuttings, but you won't get many. I think grafting male seedlings is the best way to get good persimmons. We grafted about 70 more last weekend.

Agreed! Rooting cuttings is NOT an efficient way to get more persimmons. Persimmons take grafts probably easier that most any other fruit trees. And they run a deep tap root.

If you are in the woods now, look at your persimmon trees: ones with bigger, individual flowers, spread apart, are girls. Boys have stems with clusters of smaller flowers strung along the stem. If in doubt, visit them later; only girls have fruit: flag them & in Winter you’ll know who’s who...

ucfireman

My problem is I only know of 2 persimmons on my property. And both are female. I am not aware of any males but I do get a decent crop every year so they must be around. I know where a bunch of females are close by, that's why I was thinking cuttings.
I guess Ill buy some from Forestry and plant them and then try grafting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My problem is I only know of 2 persimmons on my property. And both are female. I am not aware of any males but I do get a decent crop every year so they must be around. I know where a bunch of females are close by, that's why I was thinking cuttings.
I guess Ill buy some from Forestry and plant them and then try grafting.

That's unusual. Usually you have about 100 males for every female.

We did a bunch more grafting last weekend. Persimmons, mulberries, turning Bradford pear seedlings into fruiting pears, etc. We even tried grafting some sawtooth oak scions onto water oak saplings. We'll see how that turns out.

I noticed that a couple of the bigger persimmons I grafted last year were blooming. May get some fruit this year off last year's grafts!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Checked some this week, here is a representative one: It's about ten feet tall now with about a 1" trunk, and already has a bunch of green persimmons on it fourteen months after grafting. It's the same one as this pic. Pretty amazing at the growth:

graft.jpg

I'm really surprised how much faster the grafts have grown than planted trees. I planted three Meader persimmons last year at the same time I grafted these, and the grafted ones have grown 7-8 times as much as the planted ones.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0070.JPG

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Checked some this week, here is a representative one: It's about ten feet tall now with about a 1" trunk, and already has a bunch of green persimmons on it fourteen months after grafting. It's the same one in the first post on this thread. Pretty amazing.

I'm really surprised how much faster the grafts have grown than planted trees. I planted three Meader persimmons last year at the same time I grafted these, and the grafted ones have grown 7-8 times as much as the planted ones.

View attachment 934139

View attachment 934140
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Forest Grump

Hillbilly...That'll work! Had a buddy to teach me to graft apples trees this year for the 1st time and was surprised at how easy it was. Seen many pics of guys that did just what you did with good results.

Got a rogue bradford pear growing in the edge of one of our fields. My grafting buddy tells me to cut scions from one of my good pears and graft it to the bradford next spring. Says he's done it many times so I'm gonna give that a go next year. Post pics as that thing starts to grow.

One thing about those for you to be aware of: Bradford seedlings are very vigorous, so if you top them, it is vital that you check often & remove the Bradford bud sprouts that compete with your graft.

This is important with persimmons too, but with thorny, wild pear seedlings the dormant buds that activate around your graft will be super vigorous & overwhelm your graft & starve it if you don’t keep them cut until your graft is dominant.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One thing about those for you to be aware of: Bradford seedlings are very vigorous, so if you top them, it is vital that you check often & remove the Bradford bud sprouts that compete with your graft.

This is important with persimmons too, but with thorny, wild pear seedlings the dormant buds that activate around your graft will be super vigorous & overwhelm your graft & starve it if you don’t keep them cut until your graft is dominant.
Yep. We grafted some pears onto wild seedlings this spring, and they are very sprouty. Another weird thing I tried was grafting sawtooth oak onto water oak. I'm interested to see how that works.

SCDAWG

I grafted several persimmons this spring and they are doing very well! I wrapped them in parafilm and also wrapped the bases in electrical tape to help secure the scions. Should I remove the electrical tape at some time to prevent girdling?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I'd remove it when they get established. I've never used the tape, I just use parafilm and have had no issues.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Thought I’d bump this as it’s very interesting , I’m about to take your advice and do a google search and try to learn more, hillbilly what is the biggest tree you’ve cut down and grafted I have some males as big as your leg and do u just take your cutting at the rt time and put it against the trunk and wrap it with the parafilm or do u remove the bark and what do u put on top of the tree u cut down, sorry for all the questions, but I’m definitely gonna try this, this year

SRShunter

Checked some this week, here is a representative one: It's about ten feet tall now with about a 1" trunk, and already has a bunch of green persimmons on it fourteen months after grafting. It's the same one as this pic. Pretty amazing at the growth:

View attachment 934202

View attachment 934139

View attachment 934140
Guess having a well established undisturbed root system works wonders? I have never grafted anything but makes sense