Slug Gun Recoil

SWAMPFOX

Other than additional recoil is there anything to be gained killing-wise from using a 12 ga. bolt action slug gun over a 20 ga.?
Thanks.

jmoser

More ammo choices and usually lower prices for 12 ga ammo.

But not much walks that wont fall to a 20 ga slug at 100 yards.

Ihunt

I don’t have a lot of experience with slug guns but IMO no. The 20 is plenty.

Not sure what you're looking to shoot/hunt with it, but even if just deer & hogs, I prefer the power of the 12 over the 20 in typical configurations. I am a fan of Brenneke slugs and the difference in the popular K.O. 2 3/4" slugs is the 1oz 12 ga at 1650 FPS and 2650 FPE VS the 20ga with it's 3/4 oz at 1550 and with 1770 FPE. I call that significant, but perhaps(?) not necessary for all.

georgia_home

the bolt 12 kicks more than the semi 12. but i never really had recoil aversion. i like the brenneke slugs, the ones for rifled barrels, and the remmy copper solids/sabots. in my rifled slug guns. that said, i haven't had the rifled guns out for deer in several years. the brenneke used to be called gold and were 3", but i think they changed their name a while ago. i still have several (5) packs in the ammo bucket. ditto copper solids.

no knocking the 20. i use a 12 for everything.

JohnK

Gun season in Indiana was shotgun only and many people used a 20 saying it was just as effective in killing a deer.....people who had used both. I always used 12 myself.

meatseeker

Research the Midwest sites. That’s what I did in 2009. Where they only have shotgun season. You will find most will recommend a savage 20 Gauge. And get much more info. I went the cheaper route in 2009 with a h&r 20 slug gun.($180) Shoots as good as my rifle at 150 yrds. Have not shot farther than that. 125 yrds is the fartherest I have killed a deer. But have killed a bunch with it in Illinois and have not lost any. Also killed a bear with it. For what it’s worth my buddy who goes with me traded his 12 last year for a 20 and likes it much better.

GunnSmokeer

having owned and shot both, with slugs, Ill take the 12 for big bears, but the 20 ought to drop anything that weighs under 500 lbs.

Hillbilly stalker

20 gauge rifled barrel, Hornady SST sabot slugs will kill anything you wanna kill. We have killed a lot of hogs with this set up and never recovered 1 slug. They smoke and won't knock your fillings loose.

Uncle Joe

20 gauge rifled barrel, Hornady SST sabot slugs will kill anything you wanna kill. We have killed a lot of hogs with this set up and never recovered 1 slug. They smoke and won't knock your fillings loose.

I've been hunting in Ohio for 10 years using a TC 20 ga fully rifled barrel and 2.75" Hornady SST sabots.
They always got the job done. my longest shot was lasered at 135 yards and the deer fell straight down where it stood.

lonewolf247

From everything I've researched, I would choose a 20 gauge in the Savage 220. Really don't think the 12 gauge offers many usable advantages, as far as a deer gun. Also the Savage 220 is built more like a rifle than a shotgun, and offers excellent accuracy, even near 200 yards.

Jack Ryan

I hunted a lot of years here in Indiana when it was shotgun only. During those years NO ONE I knew used anything but a 12 gauge. No one I ever met used anything but a 12 gauge.

When they opened it up to pistols and then to pistol cartridge rifles, men started claiming more women and girls and little kids were hunting with them and wanted to hunt. Only THEN did the 20 gauge start showing up with any significance and right behind it in a year or two those same guys started lobbying to hunt with a 410.

I've NEVER known or met ANY ONE in the woods actually hunting deer with a 410.

I own them all, 410, 20, and 12 and several 12 gauge deer set ups. I used the 20 to kill a couple but my serious shotgun for deer is always going to be a 12 gauge. Why handicap yourself? 12 makes bigger hole, deep holes and EVERYTHING a 20 has to offer you can get that and more in a 12 gauge.

bevills1

Somewhere I read recoil of 3" 12 gauge slug loads is comparable to that of the 375 H&H Mag, and 20 gauge 3" slug loads comparable to the 30/06. I chose 20 gauge for my slug gun for that reason. They do have reduced recoil 12 gauge slug loads with much less recoil which would be my choice if I had a 12 gauge gun, tut then you have less energy and less flatness of trajectory with the reduced recoil loads. All things considered the 20 gauge is the better choice imo.

rosewood

Big7

The Oracle
You get a lot more pressure with a locked breach.

No matter the gauge.

20 is PLENTY for most "slug" ranges.

Brenneke are THE BEST in any gauge.

I know some say "X" yardage.

Me says 100 is pushing any smooth bore
and even with a rifled barrel, 150 is max. IMO.

But, you know how opinions go.
Everyone has one.

Paper is different from hunting. ;)

hayseed_theology

Want recoil ??? Try a single barrel breach action 12ga with
Brenneke slug.....Ouch !!!!

x2

I used to have a single shot H&R with the 12 ga Tracker I barrel (thin wall, smooth bore, rifle sights). I think it probably weighed 5 lbs. Hard plastic buttplate. With a 3" slug, it was brutal. I let a number of friends shoot it at the range. Nobody ever shot it twice.

I also had an Ultra Slug Hunter 20 ga barrel for it (rifled bull barrel). It was far more pleasant and accurate.

7Mag Hunter

Recoil

x2

I used to have a single shot H&R with the 12 ga Tracker I barrel (thin wall, smooth bore, rifle sights). I think it probably weighed 5 lbs. Hard plastic buttplate. With a 3" slug, it was brutal. I let a number of friends shoot it at the range. Nobody ever shot it twice.

I also had an Ultra Slug Hunter 20 ga barrel for it (rifled bull barrel). It was far more pleasant and accurate.

I just picked up an H&R 3" 12 ga from a pawn shop...Does not look like it has ever been fired.....Got
some Turkey loads, but don't think i am gonna get any
slugs for it !!:rofl::rofl: