Soquee question

jigman29

My son was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few months ago and has had surgery and such. He loves fishing with me and has expressed interest in wanting to catch a big trout on a fly rod and I figured no better place near our hometown of clayton than the Soquee.
My wife has a client that fishes there so we reached out to get a recommendation for a guide and he said he would find out. Well, she gets a text and they setup a trip for the two of us at no cost of one of the area streams that's known for huge fish. I am beyond thankful and actually teared up at the generosity of these people. They have always been super nice but other than work we haven't really communicated. And for them to do that was an unbelievably kind gesture.
Sorry for the long winded post lol. So here's my question. I have a 3wt and a 5wt redington rod. I know the 3 is far too light for these really big fish but is the 5wt adequate? I will be buying a bigger rod this weekend but wasn't sure if I needed to buy a second one. If anyone has fished here and knows what to expect I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance.

WPrich

My son was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a few months ago and has had surgery and such. He loves fishing with me and has expressed interest in wanting to catch a big trout on a fly rod and I figured no better place near our hometown of clayton than the Soquee.
My wife has a client that fishes there so we reached out to get a recommendation for a guide and he said he would find out. Well, she gets a text and they setup a trip for the two of us at no cost of one of the area streams that's known for huge fish. I am beyond thankful and actually teared up at the generosity of these people. They have always been super nice but other than work we haven't really communicated. And for them to do that was an unbelievably kind gesture.
Sorry for the long winded post lol. So here's my question. I have a 3wt and a 5wt redington rod. I know the 3 is far too light for these really big fish but is the 5wt adequate? I will be buying a bigger rod this weekend but wasn't sure if I needed to buy a second one. If anyone has fished here and knows what to expect I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance.

I fish there with my 3 wt but it's a euro nymphing rod so it has a 3wt tip but the butt section is like that of a 5 wt rod. I'd probably have him fish the 5 wt there if it we're me.

jigman29

I fish there with my 3 wt but it's a euro nymphing rod so it has a 3wt tip but the butt section is like that of a 5 wt rod. I'd probably have him fish the 5 wt there if it we're me.

Thanks. I was hoping the 5 was enough. I would be fine fishing my 3wt if it won't stress the fish too much. But he's not experienced enough to fish it.

The mtn man

I'd go with the 5wt for sure. Those Fed fish are heavy and strong, I've caught a few wild trout over 20inches on the real upper nantahala, they put a strain on a 4wt. The wild fish are not as heavy or strong as the ones in soquee. I caught a 29" Brown in the hiwassee on a 5 wt 9 ft, and thought it was going to break my rod. If I got an invite like you, I'd be investing in a 6wt.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you don't want to buy a new rod just for this trip, I've got a few 5wt rods and reels I'd be happy to loan you.

jigman29

If you don't want to buy a new rod just for this trip, I've got a few 5wt rods and reels I'd be happy to loan you.

I really appreciate the offer. I'm gonna see what I can find for sale and try to buy him something of his own. I'm hoping this will get him into fly fishing with me more. He's been my lake fishing partner all his life but never cared as much for fly fishing.