• Ladder

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Ground

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HughW2

Help out a new to bow hunting hunter.
From what I can tell, it seems most bow hunters seem to prefer hang on stands to other types. I figured I would post a poll.

Thanks for your input.

Hugh

Do you prefer hang on, climber, ladder or ground blind?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ll hunt out of, on top of, under or in anything that is or seems safe and effective for holding me. So my answer is all of the above when it comes to a good stand. Good luck helps.

rutnbuk

I used to be climber all the way- and still am if it is a new spot. But being able to slip in- hook my safety line on and make an easy climb with no noise and no sweat...yep the lock on is my choice now 95% of hunts. You have to be safe hanging them and smart about location- but after that the work is done.

shdw633

I enjoy my ground blind, quiet, deer never know where it's going to be which means I can hunt the wind better and I can move around a little inside of it without worrying I'm going to get spotted.

Jim Boyd

I am afraid of lock on’s and that is a shame because we probably have 15-20 in the barn.

I like a 20-24’ ladder stand that has been in place for several years.

Best of luck!

Pointpuller

Loc ons if you are nimble enough to hang them and hunt off them. Ive been using the same Loc On Spirits for almost 30 years with rope on steps. They are light weight, easy to hang and you can put them in almost any tree size. I like to hang my stands in good cover. That usually means above limbs which climbers can't do. Im 54 and can see the time coming where Im not gonna be able to hunt like Im used to and then I will have to adapt to ladders.

flatsmaster

If u hunt where there's straight trees that are soft with not many branches then a climber is great ... loc ons go in about any tree and it's easier to decide on stand height based on cover ... ladders are my least favorite from a hanging stand point but I got the X-Stand Duke last yr and that thing was solidly attached to tree before ever leaving the ground ... we also use lots of ground blinds .... if ur only wanting 1 stand then decide where u want to hunt and get what puts u closest to THE spot that u can be hidden and have dominate wind in ur face ... good luck and be safe ... vote would be locon

Hunter922

We bow hunt all year and use all of the above. I have favorite spots more than stands. We also have giant trees and small trees on our property very few perfect size trees. If I am in an area with multiple trails or an area with a lot of area to look at I like a ladder or climber. Most of ours are set up to look at specific trails or just a few so we can stay as still as possible and concentrate on a smaller areas.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Don't limit yourself to just one type. You need to be able to adapt to the area where your sign is at, loc -on, climber or natural ground blind . First thing I do with a loc on is cut the nylon belt off and replace it with a chain. I'm not trusting my life to something a squirrel might chew thru. You don't have to have a dozen stands, but one of each is ideal.

Glynr

The older I get the safer I try to be. I use to use loc-on but not anymore. Ladder or climbing for me.

baddave

i prefer something i can just walk up and climb , like a fixed position w/ climbing stick.. but if i use a climber i use a modified hardtail , forearm climber.. anything really as long as i can shoot sitting down

SWWTV

I am afraid of lock on’s and that is a shame because we probably have 15-20 in the barn.

Best of luck!
Yeah I know what you mean back in 2011 I disconnected from my safety Belt and as I stepped onto my stick ladder the top Buckle broke and down I went, and no I did not have a Life Line at that time. I now use a Summit Viper with a Safety Harness or a Ladder Stand. I broke both my Legs "Compound Breaks" and broke my Back I am very Lucky to be here today.

Long Cut

Loc on like Lone Wolf or XOP style or from a saddle. Got tired of hunting for trees to be on the deer sign with climbers. The big bucks never seem to cooperate with easily climbable trees....

joepuppy

Yeah I know what you mean back in 2011 I disconnected from my safety Belt and as I stepped onto my stick ladder the top Buckle broke and down I went, and no I did not have a Life Line at that time. I now use a Summit Viper with a Safety Harness or a Ladder Stand. I broke both my Legs "Compound Breaks" and broke my Back I am very Lucky to be here today.

Wow. Glad you were ok. I have learned a lot from stories just like yours. I'm not as young or light and nimble as I used to be.

Long Cut

Best of luck!
I’m afraid of any fixed stand! Jumped out of too many after I found a hornets nest, coon etc.. Partial to hang n hunting from now on.
But to each their own, if you have time to maintain all those ladder stands they’re great.

kevincox

I’m afraid of any fixed stand! Jumped out of too many after I found a hornets nest, coon etc.. Partial to hang n hunting from now on.
But to each their own, if you have time to maintain all those ladder stands they’re great.
I had a wasp nest under my seat once when I was about to climb into the stand. They came at my face and my reaction was to jump away from them. 16 ft to the ground. I'm luck I only sprained my shoulder and a bruised rib