Why Muzzleloaders Rifles for Turkey?

Big7

The Oracle
Archery only is the real deal. Crossbows don't count

That's cheating too..

Some can shoot a arrow a good ways. Not sure that fair either.
Not sure what to do.

It's not.

Everybody SHOULD have the same number of
days if you use a wrist rocket or a hand grenade.

Limit is a limit. Dead is dead. :huh:

JMB

...and of course the point was lost on the illustrious GON forum.

As stated: curious as to why blaze orange is mandatory during primitive weapons deer season and not mandatory during turkey. Point being people are crawling around with turkey fans these days and have very realistic decoys; seems far easier for an accidental shooting to happen with a muzzleloader in present time. Never said anything about ethics, banning muzzleloaders, or attempting to start a typical internet forum diatribe where accountability for harsh statements lies in the ether.

Next time I’ll just post about shooting a turkey over my Dave Smith decoys and we can debate if it was me or Dave Smith that really killed the bird. :deadhorse:

to orange or not to orange

Muzzle loader is fine by me
use a round ball for less damage, wait for broadside and aim high back

what I've got out of this THREAD is that a few folks need to read the regs

one hogman

So...maybe somebody can answer this:

Muzzleloader deer:
500 inches of blaze orange required for safety
Hunters typically elevated and stationary

Muzzleloader
Turkey: No orange
Hunters typically on the ground and mobile

If a modern muzzleloader is close to a 30-30 in terms of effective range and can be considered more or less a single shot rifle, why the heck does the state allow them during turkey season? I mean orange is required for deer season, but not turkey season? This makes zero sense to me. Am I the only one that thinks we should ban solid single projectile muzzleloaders from the turkey woods?

James

And just WHAT evidence do you have to back this up, There is no problem with this happening that I have ever seen, or read of. I hunt Turkey especially during the early season with a muzzleloader, I really like having the extra range especially when a Hog or Coyote show up, I have killed both while Turkey hunting, Real sad to see other hunters just jump on the Ban it bandwagon, we should stick together and support each other way of hunting even if you don't hunt that way!!:smash::smash:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
...and of course the point was lost on the illustrious GON forum.

As stated: curious as to why blaze orange is mandatory during primitive weapons deer season and not mandatory during turkey. Point being people are crawling around with turkey fans these days and have very realistic decoys; seems far easier for an accidental shooting to happen with a muzzleloader in present time. Never said anything about ethics, banning muzzleloaders, or attempting to start a typical internet forum diatribe where accountability for harsh statements lies in the ether.

Next time I’ll just post about shooting a turkey over my Dave Smith decoys and we can debate if it was me or Dave Smith that really killed the bird. :deadhorse:
The reason is pretty obvious-birds aren't colorblind like deer. You would not have much success turkey hunting with a big orange vest on, any more than you would duck hunting or dove hunting.
Anybody who would mistakenly shoot a turkey hunter carrying a fan would likely shoot a turkey hunter wearing an orange vest, too.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
And I'm betting those two guys shot behind the fan were shot with a shotgun. Pretty hard to shoot two people with a muzzleloader.

Darkhorse

The OP wasn't really concerned with Blaze Orange, he can wear it anytime he wants to without a state mandate.
No, that was just a lead in to the real point of his post, to ban muzzleloading rifles during turkey season and to deceive and mislead the reader. For most of us it didn't work, but sadly others fell right in the trap and jumped right onto his bandwagon. The second poster wants to ban ML rifles right out of the gate, another wonders about a solution to "The Problem". What problem? That idea was planted by the original post.
I have zero respect for anyone who wants to ban a legal weapon for any season. I may not ever use certain weapons but it's the hunters right to use them if they choose.
And sure, a ML rifle has greater range than a shotgun. But down in the woods after greenout, you can't use that capability at all and now the shotgun has the advantage.
This all rings like anti-gun tactics to me. Divide and Conquer. But this comes from the inside. Shameful.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
View attachment 1293266

Saw this in a magazine selling outdoors stuff

I didn't think them dudes could see good over that grass anyway
I did wear blaze orange duck hunting on Quantico, wasn't hunting the waterfowl blinds, just a training area during open firearm deer season, the woodies, blacks and mallards didn't care, deer hunters weren't shooting at them.