Finding points in the NE GA Mtns.

Killer Kyle

Guys, I have been looking for points or artifacts in the mountains of NE GA like a feind for several years now. Like a meth head trying to find his next fix. I roam public land in Towns, Rabun, Union, White, and Habersham counties (mostly in the Chattahoochee National Forest) almost 7 days a week. I am looking for points or artifacts every dang day, and I literally have never found one. How do you guys on here find so many points and artifacts?! Am I looking in the wrong places?! I cannot figure this game out. I cannot find the first one. In the mountain regions, will most of the points be found in or near the creek bottoms? I am struggling over here and really need some pointers. I know plowed fields are common places to find them, but here, DNR almost never, ever discs the fields. Discing really is almost non existent here now because of the grain drill. They use no till drill methods here, so dirt never gets turned up. Where in the heck can I start looking for points in the mountains?!?

Mexican Squealer

public land is illegal to take any points. If you were on private land then creek banks, sandbars, harrowed fields are prime. Found close to 30 points near the Sav river this week. Private property

Killer Kyle

public land is illegal to take any points. If you were on private land then creek banks, sandbars, harrowed fields are prime. Found close to 30 points near the Sav river this week. Private property

Oh, I know this. Just...asking....for a friend.......;)

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Tell your friend to look on high land on the south side where to creeks join. Where spring heads start at above it. Big flat spots along creeks. Look for flakes of flint 1st. Say to your self. Where would I camp to have water.

Timberman

you won’t find many up there other than in the valley floors. Just as the high country is rough low quality habitat now it was the same back then. Indians really only passed through seldom staying long.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've found probably a thousand points or more in the mountains over the years. If I remember correctly, exactly one of them was on NF land. It is durn near impossible to find a point in the woods.

Private farmland is where to find the points. The older stuff from the early Archaic nomadic guys is usually on flat-topped ridges near a spring, the mid-Archaic and newer stuff is usually in the creek/river bottoms.

Anvil Head

Cotton and corn fields were very productive after harvest or just before planting and hard rains. Found a lot hunting rabbits and doves. Pop used to get a little upset with me for not paying attention to the dogs or birds.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Look anywhere you can see the dirt. If the dirt has been disturbed, washed out, or moved around any, it`s even better. After a storm, look in the rootball of downed trees after they have been rained on. Many good ones have been found this way. Preferred places are high spots along waterways. Just get in the habit of looking for worked edges any time you see dirt. Points and artifacts show up in some surprising places. Just be mindful of the collecting laws.

jbogg

Don’t feel like the lone ranger Kyle. No telling how many miles I have hiked up in the mountains over the past two years and I have never come across a point. I too have always wanted to find one, and I am sure I have walked by a few. A friend of mine was up on Chattahoochee last week checking out the new Burn, and found a nice partial point on Trail Ridge. (See Photo). Keep your eyes peeled and you will find one.

Attachments

• 96727CAE-8DE7-4BB7-AAD6-3DE0322399C7.jpeg
    96727CAE-8DE7-4BB7-AAD6-3DE0322399C7.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 561

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I found a broke point on the AT on CNF. It’s actually not a bad place to look for them. The trail is worn down and after a good rain can wash up some points. Try to think about where you would camp out if you had to live out there? Flat areas above water are good places to look.

bowhunterdavid

I have only found one in the mountains, a fresh plowed food plot at Dukes Creek WMA. I have a buddy that cant take a step without finding one, Im like you i look all the time but never seem to find any.

j_seph

Found one high up on a ridge where a foodplot had been plowed. It was a quartz one, I kneeled down and looked at it, took some pictures then walked on.

Killer Kyle

Don’t feel like the lone ranger Kyle. No telling how many miles I have hiked up in the mountains over the past two years and I have never come across a point. I too have always wanted to find one, and I am sure I have walked by a few. A friend of mine was up on Chattahoochee last week checking out the new Burn, and found a nice partial point on Trail Ridge. (See Photo). Keep your eyes peeled and you will find one.

Dang it son! I was just up on Trail Ridge two days ago!! Gah!!! I'm jealous!

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the great info guys! What y'all said makes sense. I guess that so much of the NF is just contiguous tracks of woods, the roads are covered in gravel, and the vast majority of food plots are no longer plowed. Just makes it tough. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let y'all know if I ever do find any! Lots of good advice here fellas!

j_seph

Thanks for the great info guys! What y'all said makes sense. I guess that so much of the NF is just contiguous tracks of woods, the roads are covered in gravel, and the vast majority of food plots are no longer plowed. Just makes it tough. I'll keep my eyes peeled and let y'all know if I ever do find any! Lots of good advice here fellas!
Just go look in the foodplots all those hogs are plowing:bounce:

Killer Kyle

Just go look in the foodplots all those hogs are plowing:bounce:

I looked in four food plots near Hiawassee today. They are almost 100% destroyed by hogs over the last few months. They literally rooted up nearly 100% of 4 different fields. I didn't find the first artifact. I did find a nice shed antler, and snuck to within +-60 yards of a Sounder of hogs feeding dead in the middle of an open field. I couldn't get close enough for a kill shot with my turkey loads, so I eased on out and decided to come back on a different evening. The hog damage in that part of the forest is surreal. I hope they turn me up some points to photograph!

baddave

i don't claim to be an expert on this by no stretch , but a guy came by here for some irrelevant reason and he was good and knowledgeable about them (like some on this forum) and he advised me that i was in a real likely place because we were on the first high point from an outside bend of the river.. i never forgot what he said .. i thought i'd never actually find one but one day i just casually looked down and saw the tip of something protruding out of the dirt , i picked it up and almost lost my breath.. it was the best one we've found yet and we've found about 35-40 over the last 5 yrs since .. i think the archery pro shop was in our back yard .. note the thread about the show in athens june 2nd .. we are gonna make that a priority to answer some of our questions