Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Woody's Campfire Talk > Camping, Hiking and RV's


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 AM
PoultryMan PoultryMan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default Day Hike Parking for Chatt. Nat. Forest?

Hey Y'all,

As the weather warms up, my wife and I are wanting to do some more hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Last year we always parked and hiked in from the normal parking lots areas in the mountains. We encountered a lot of people and we now want to hike in other areas.

My wife has found several areas that she wants to hike, but there is no parking areas near them.

Are we allowed to pull off to the side of the road and park? Or are we likely to get a ticket or other problems?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 AM
mattuga's Avatar
mattuga mattuga is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: GA
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoultryMan View Post
Hey Y'all,

As the weather warms up, my wife and I are wanting to do some more hiking in the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Last year we always parked and hiked in from the normal parking lots areas in the mountains. We encountered a lot of people and we now want to hike in other areas.

My wife has found several areas that she wants to hike, but there is no parking areas near them.

Are we allowed to pull off to the side of the road and park? Or are we likely to get a ticket or other problems?

If you are on a forest service road just don't block anyone's way. Specifically you'll get a ticket if you block a closed gate and a ranger happens by to see it. Pay attention to animal sign and you might find a new hunting spot on your hike.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM
PoultryMan PoultryMan is offline
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

We were considering parking on the side of the paved, public roads. Would that be alright?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM
humdandy humdandy is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.E. GA.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoultryMan View Post
We were considering parking on the side of the paved, public roads. Would that be alright?
Don't block gates or roads. You can pretty much park and camp anywhere as long as there are no posted signs.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM
westcobbdog westcobbdog is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: west cobb county,ga.
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Get a map of the Chatt Nat Forest so you will know where exactly you can legally drive, park, hike, camp, fish, etc...try the Ranger office in Dahlonega or the Clarkesville office has them for sale.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Artfuldodger's Avatar
Artfuldodger Artfuldodger is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Martinez/Augusta
iTrader: (0) Check/Add Feedback
Default

I know they park along the highway Old US 441 for the trail to Panther Creek. This because the parking lot is small and gets full.

I did read make sure you pull completely off the pavement or you'll get towed. You would think people would know to do that.

I don't know about in general for State and US routes vs paved FS roads. Might could get some input from a hiking club that does a lot of day hiking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM
greg_n_clayton greg_n_clayton is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Clayton, Georgia
iTrader: (1) Check/Add Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfuldodger View Post
I know they park along the highway Old US 441 for the trail to Panther Creek. This because the parking lot is small and gets full.

I did read make sure you pull completely off the pavement or you'll get towed. You would think people would know to do that.

I don't know about in general for State and US routes vs paved FS roads. Might could get some input from a hiking club that does a lot of day hiking.
Are you sure you won't get a ticket for parking on the road at Panther Creek ?? I have known it to happen in the past. People avoiding the the parking fee in the parking area. Other wise, you can anywhere ya want on USFS roads as long as there is not "designated" parking areas. The trail system in these parts to the East is extensive ! Many not as publicised as some !! I have met and dropped folks off at a trail so they could hike to their vehicle along the trail in another area many times !
__________________
I don't think we get smarter with age !! I think we run out of stupid stuff to do !!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger