Texas Trying to Out Do HogaZilla

dbodkin

Hunting spotlight: Beast of Beeville
Web Posted: 10/03/2004 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Basics: For curiosity's sake, here's the "Beast of Beeville," the giant feral hog killed last month on the Welder Ranch by hog chaser Bryan Quintana.

Rancher Raymond Welder estimated the hog's weight at 750-800 pounds. There was no cattle scale available. It could weigh more.

According to Welder, Quintana's dogs chased the big pig into a stock tank, where it made its last stand. The swine killed one of the chase dogs and severely injured another before Quintana dispatched the hog with a 3-inch pocket knife blade to the heart. :eek:

Hog chasers: Dogs and hogs don't mix, and neither do hogs and ranchers, hunters or anyone else trying to manage livestock and wildlife. Hogs also do not go well with crop land, farmers and fences.

Eradicating feral hogs with chase dogs and sheath knives is a hobby for some hearty outdoorsmen like Quintana.

Hog hunters: Feral hogs cannot be wiped out, but they can be controlled to some extent. They are fair game for hunting year-round in Texas.

There is no limit on the pigs. All the hunter needs is a hunting license and landowner permission.

Bottom line: It's hard to say what's good about an 800-pound feral hog, because it probably was not good for the table.

If the chance to kill a pig comes your way, go for an animal about the size of a large suitcase. By the time it is cleaned, you'll have about 30 pounds of meat.

Keep the ribs and loins and give the rest to neighbors, then start the barbecue pit. Season and char the ribs on both sides, thin-slice two onions and make a bed on a heavy tin-foil wrap, put the charred ribs on the onion bed, slice two more onions and a clove of garlic and scatter that on top of the ribs.

Pour in a can of flat beer and seal the wrap. Put the wrapped ribs at the far end of the pit, away from the coals, and go out for the afternoon hunt. When you come back, supper will be ready.

Ron Henry Strait

Toliver

1. There's NEVER a scale around when something like this is killed.

2. A three inch blade against an 800 pound hog? hmmmm.. I don't think so but I'm no hog anatomy expert.

3. Why is it Texans are always trying to outdo everyone else?

CAL

TOliver,
I'm with you on the three inch blade!

That would be like killing an elephant with er flip!

I would like to see the individual what would get in the pen with a 800lb.boar hog and a mad one at that!

Raised hogs years ago,never trust a boar hog.You just can't determine what their intentions are.We had to keep their tusk cut.Not something I ever looked farward to! :shoot:

Toliver

Like I said, I'm certainly no piggy anatomy expert but one that size would probably have 2 inches worth of skin and fat before you ever got through the rib cage. I think you'd run out of blade way before you ever reach the heart. And it's done killed one dog and maimed another? He must have been riding it like a PBR Champion!

Handgunner

I would like to see the individual what would get in the pen with a 800lb.boar hog and a mad one at that!

CAL, you're looking at him. I truly am, that bad. :D

I've been kicked in the face by mules and it didn't break my hide, I've been bitten by rattlesnakes, they just crawled off and died... I've walked up a creek and didn't get wet, I've been through Haydes and didn't break a sweat... :bounce: :D

Bring the hog and elephant on, I got a Barlow and Wrist Rocket cocked, locked and ready to rock! ::; ::gone:

Toliver

Delton said:
CAL, you're looking at him. I truly am, that bad. :D

I've been kicked in the face by mules and it didn't break my hide, I've been bitten by rattlesnakes, they just crawled off and died... I've walked up a creek and didn't get wet, I've been through Haydes and didn't break a sweat... :bounce: :D

Bring the hog and elephant on, I got a Barlow and Wrist Rocket cocked, locked and ready to rock! ::; ::gone:

Can someone send us a new moderator? This one's lost his mind!! :bounce:

Handgunner

While I was beating my chest and doing a Tarzan yell, the wife came over to see what I was doing... She said... "You're not that bad, you're just a teddybear"...

So I guess, only because of her, the hogs and heffa-lumps are safe for the time being... :D

Toliver

heffa-lumps are safe for the time being..

What about the woozles?

Handgunner

Toliver said:
heffa-lumps are safe for the time being..

What about the woozles?

I thought that's what I said, "heffa-lumps and woozles"... :D

Swamprat

Swamprat
Texas - Big State / Big Lies :rolleyes:

800 pound hog with a 3" knife, don't think so. a hog that big will have a couple of inches of fat, then muscle, etc

Handgunner

I don't know y'all... Think about it. If you're trying to get 800lbs of "I don't care" off you, when you shove that 3" blade in, you're going to go more than 3" deep... the skin, hide, fat, gives a little..... :D

So it would probably at least sink it, maybe 4".... ;)

Toliver

Ok, I didn't want to brag, but I did once fight off a 1,300 pound bull with the file from my fingernail clippers. I buried that sucker in his heart and hamburger and steaks for the rest of the year. I guess that made up for the clippers I had to replace since the old pair got bent and would not longer close up right.

Handgunner

No "man" I know uses fingernail clippers. :rolleyes:

Timberman

I've seen three or four men hold and castrate big boar hogs that the dogs have caught. First thing they would do is take a hammer and break his tusks off.

He was prolly wore out, and they did not say how many dogs. 4-6 dogs should finally be able to hold him still. Then he prolly sawed on his neck til he died. My guess anyway, by no means accurate. :)

Toliver

Delton said:
No "man" I know uses fingernail clippers. :rolleyes:

I use them for fishing. They come in handy for multiple tasks. I take care of my fingernails once a week with my grinder. I can't believe you're such a sissy man to think about using clippers for their intended use. GEEZ!!!!

Handgunner

Toliver said:
I use them for fishing. They come in handy for multiple tasks. I take care of my fingernails once a week with my grinder. I can't believe you're such a sissy man to think about using clippers for their intended use. GEEZ!!!!

Real men, bite their line in two... No need for fingernail clippers... sheesh!

Sissyman? I'll make ya famous!