Spot for a Fly Rod beginner near Cobb Co?

leoparddog

I've got a buddy who just got his first fly rod and is itching to give it a try. Can anyone suggest a lake or non-trout water within an hour of Cobb Co. where I can put him on the water?

Probably just be throwing popping bugs and woolly buggers and hoping for some brim or just about anything.

I was going to take him to the Hooch but he doesn't have waders or a trout stamp and I'm sure we'd just get skunked there anyway since I haven't fly fished for trout in years.

I was considering Lake Acworth but don't know what the water level there would be like and I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

Thanks!

cb3725

The water level on Acworth looked pretty decent a few weeks back when I drove over it. A couple other places that comes to mind are Stamp Creek near White, Aubrey Lake in Cartersville, Euharlee Creek, or maybe Little River in Woodstock.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I've got a buddy who just got his first fly rod and is itching to give it a try. Can anyone suggest a lake or non-trout water within an hour of Cobb Co. where I can put him on the water?

Probably just be throwing popping bugs and woolly buggers and hoping for some brim or just about anything.

I was going to take him to the Hooch but he doesn't have waders or a trout stamp and I'm sure we'd just get skunked there anyway since I haven't fly fished for trout in years.

I was considering Lake Acworth but don't know what the water level there would be like and I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about throwing a popping bug unless he's just wanting to get a lot of practice in.;)

leoparddog

I wouldn't worry about throwing a popping bug unless he's just wanting to get a lot of practice in.;)

I hear ya Fish hawk. Starting out with popping bugs is a good way to get a pierced ear. :cool:

I'll get him started with a wooly bugger if I can.

fishndoc

Acworth is full now, and you have the dock next to the boat ramp, and the small pier jutting out from the playground. Both are good spots to fly cast from, and occasionally hook up with a fish.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I hear ya Fish hawk. Starting out with popping bugs is a good way to get a pierced ear. :cool:

I'll get him started with a wooly bugger if I can.

I know a guy that happened to but it wasn't a popping bug with a #6 hook it was a zara spook with trebles.A perfect zara spook earring....He yanked it out with a pair of pliers.Good luck,tell him to fish that bugger slow.