5 weight rod recommendations

kwarner

Just found a 5# Hatch reel at a steal and I'm now looking for a rod. I'm only familiar with the 8# class of setups. I'm planning on using the setup for some lightweight saltwater and in my local river for bass and bream. I've been looking at clutch, Loomis and sage rods? Any thoughts?

centerpin fan

I've been looking at clutch, Loomis and sage rods? Any thoughts?

Never heard of Clutch. Loomis NRX gets rave reviews, and I'm sure you could find a Sage you'd like -- maybe a Sage One. You can also check out Scott Radian, Hardy Zenith and Orvis Helios.

Go cast a few! :)

Jimmy Harris

For a 5 wt. that would be used for light salt fishing, I think you'll be hard pressed to beat the Orvis Helios2. A Sage One would be a great choice also.

Tentwing

Good used high end rods can still be pretty spendy . Just an idea Redington CT is a moderately priced rod with a great action. It kind of reminds me of my Sage LL . Those are my two favorite 5 weight graphite actions.

Tentwing

Bream Pole

5 wt

I have a TFO 5 wt that is an excellent rod. I've never fished a real high end rod like a sage, but its hard for me to imagine it being anything better than the TFO, at least not warranting the price difference. But then I am not polished, accomplished skilled, etc with a fly rod so I probably couldn't recognize the difference and probably don't need the difference for what I do on the river, the lake and in ponds. The TFO is perfect for me.

Randy

My vote goes to a Sage One, but whatever you get it needs to be a faster action to throw the bigger flies for bass and salt water.

fishndoc

I love the Redington CT for dry fly fishing, but agree with Randy that you need something fast for the big flies, and especially the wind that comes with saltwater fishing.

If you are bargain hunting, I picked up a Redington Link 8wt on close-out for $170 at SierraTradingPost. The web site shows they also have 5wts in stock.
I have only done yard casting so far (headed to keys next month), but I'm really impressed with it - very light in the hand, fast action, and even I can cast the full length of a WF line with it.

Just wish I could find a deal on a Hatch reel like you did.

Last edited:

kwarner

Thanks for the help guys, still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I'm ready to test this hatch 5 plus on a red when this wind lays down.......one day.

kwarner

Any thoughts on the Gloom is whispercreek glx 5# ? Found a used one but am leaning towards the nrx or sage one.

hmaadd

If I was gonna spend big money on a fly rod I would have to try out the orvis helios 2 that Jimmy mentioned. I've only heard good things about it from guide friends.