TC Contender 357 Herret ?

GregoryB.

Just wondering if any one uses the 357 Herret ? Working a possible trade for a TC Custom Shop 16 inch 357 Herret barrel . Comes with pre-formed brass. I do reload and I know Buffalo Arms loads it as well.

rosewood

From my reading, the 357 Herret shines in the 10" barrel. In a 16", you probably did the right thing sticking with the 35 remington.

Rosewood

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I load a .357 dia 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Core in my 35 Remington contender barrel.
I guess it out runs all other 357 bullets fired from any Contender platform.
I haven't looked at my load data in several years, but I think it is loaded with a cartridge full of H-110 or W-760.

rosewood

You sure about that? I don't think H110 is a powder to be used in 35 Remington. It is too fast for such a large rifle cartridge I believe. I don't recall ever seeing load data for H110 in the 35 Rem. Now, in the 357 max, 357 mag, it is the powder of choice. However, H110 is a common powder for 357 Herrett.

Rosewood

1eyefishing

I'm NOT sure, like I said maybe a different rifle powder. I loaded up more than enough for 10 years hunting 10 years ago and still have more than enough. I'll have to go digging in some old records to see what I did with that... Will try to back answer back on this thread when I do...
But still the 357 bullet can be loaded in your 35 Remington contender. I think it is better designed to open up at those velocities than a normal 35 Remington rifle bullet. Have had several no exit (all those DRT). Lost one deer with a rifle bullet hole poke thru, but never lost one with the handgun bullet.:cheers:

PS- use a heavy .357 bullet!

1eyefishing

Found it...
40.0grains 748. (old Lyman manual in the Contender section in the rear; but it lists a 170gr rifle bullet)
Same powder I use in my Contender 30/30 load. (40.6g with 125g ballistic tip.

I knew it had something in common with another similar Contender cartridge but I forgot the details.:flag:
I do use the H 110 in my 357 and 41 magnum.:bounce:

1eyefishing

Wow...
Checking on some data now.
The 1600+ fps with the 170 grain bullet is 100 to 150 fps SLOWER than the 357 herrett with same bullet and half the powder! Who'da thunk it?

1eyefishing

Here are two pics from the contender section of my old Lyman manual.
Hoping you can expand enough to read.
The loads with the Asterix are designated the most accurate.

Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (8).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 91
  • ezgif.com-resize (12).jpg
    ezgif.com-resize (12).jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 92

Win1917

Although I no longer have a 357 Herrett, I mostly shot 180 XTP's maxed out with H4198. Not fantastic accuracy but good enough for hunting although before I sold it I was shooting some milder loads with 4227 and accuracy was better and a fair bit less velocity.