Your Child - Mission Trip

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yeah nervous but we never know when our time on this earth is up.

Can't let fear keep you from achieving what God has planted in your heart. That is what I have told my daughter.

I am just thankful cause there is way worse places she could go, even here in the states.

Can you say Chicago?????

Swamprat

Swamprat
Chicago, Miami, NYC, LA, Orlando, ATL....etc.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I got out of Orlando before I did....went to NW Florida in 2003.

Glad I did. Better lifestyle and place to raise our kids.

Sure, our area has problems, drugs. low income, etc. but still better than a big city. Around 25000 folks in our county while down there we might have had that in a 5 mile radius. Grew up surrounded by cow pastures and orange groves, we did not go to the city, it came to us.

cramer

9 months is a long time to be away from home for the first time.
God Bless you all in this decision.
It sounds like you have a wonderful daughter!

Regarding call to military at 18 and leaving for tour of duty - these guys and gals are trained first as are everyone around them.

HuntDawg

Plenty of local charity and mission work. Maybe she is already doing local. If not, I would encourage volunteering at her county Meals on Wheels. I went in thinking it was all old people who do not have transportation. Boy, was I wrong. People just miles from me that I did not know existed, and cut off from society.

I am a big fan of local charity and mission work due to more of a possibility of being permanent rather than once a year in a foreign land. Absolutely a great thing, but I would also encourage local and consistent.

As for 18 years old for 9 months, man, that is scary to me.

I knew of a gentleman who took out the garbage at a local Christian Hospice a couple of times a week for over 20 years. He never spoke in front of the Church about his foreign land trips. No one would have ever known of what most would not consider to be mission work, but what an incredible gift of service in the name of the Lord.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Plenty of local charity and mission work.

this is one of my pet peeves... people will spend thousands of dollars to go to Timbuktu and spread the gospel, but they won't go to across the street to help a single mom with sick kids who needs her washing machine fixed.

Not to beat my own drum here, but that is the reason we went thru DFCS to adopt. I have friends that spent 25 to 30K to adopt in China or Russia. They could have adopted a child here in Georgia, and DFCS will pay all the attorney fees if they adopt special needs children. Special needs in Georgia means any age black child, a white child over the age of 9, a sibling group where one child is considered special needs, and of course the children you think of when you here special needs.

Yeah, you have to go thru lots of training, waiting, and general bovine feces, but you have to with foreign adoptions also. All these people get on their high horse about America first... what about American children first?????

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
this is one of my pet peeves... people will spend thousands of dollars to go to Timbuktu and spread the gospel, but they won't go to across the street to help a single mom with sick kids who needs her washing machine fixed.

Not to beat my own drum here, but that is the reason we went thru DFCS to adopt. I have friends that spent 25 to 30K to adopt in China or Russia. They could have adopted a child here in Georgia, and DFCS will pay all the attorney fees if they adopt special needs children. Special needs in Georgia means any age black child, a white child over the age of 9, a sibling group where one child is considered special needs, and of course the children you think of when you here special needs.

Yeah, you have to go thru lots of training, waiting, and general bovine feces, but you have to with foreign adoptions also. All these people get on their high horse about America first... what about American children first?????

Very well said. I concur.

Trips me out that folks adopt Chinese kids when there are plenty of kids right here at home that need help.

HuntDawg

Not knocking the foreign mission trips. Have many friends who have done it over the years. I do know one thing. I rarely see a person get up in front of the Church and talk about their life changing mission experience at the local charity. No slideshows to present. No posts on Facebook.

With that said, my best friend who is a PhD in Economics is doing some work in foreign lands that is out of the box. He is doing 5 and 10 year research studies on the actual economic impact that communities receiving wells and housing from mission work achieve. The whole digging of a well vs teaching of digging a well and maintenance of a well as well as teaching construction rather than just doing construction for these communities. I am sure we all know the answer to teaching vs handing over, but his intentions are to measure the impact.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

100% agreement.

JackSprat

With that said, my best friend who is a PhD in Economics is doing some work in foreign lands that is out of the box. He is doing 5 and 10 year research studies on the actual economic impact that communities receiving wells and housing from mission work achieve. The whole digging of a well vs teaching of digging a well and maintenance of a well as well as teaching construction rather than just doing construction for these communities. I am sure we all know the answer to teaching vs handing over, but his intentions are to measure the impact.

Any of that that a Hindu or Muslim or Santerian couldn't do?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
folks she wasn't called to go across the street she was called to the cape verde islands.

that's what dad asked about.

Im Glad the apostle Paul didn't just turn around and go home and sit down.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
folks she wasn't called to go across the street she was called to the cape verde islands.

oh, but she was called to go across the street. Most just won't do it. Acts 1:8

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Jerusalem = their local community

Judea = their country

Samaria = the neighboring country

End of the earth = every where else.

Like I said, we are all called to work locally first. This is where the training and experience begins.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
oh, but she was called to go across the street. Most just won't do it. Acts 1:8

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

Jerusalem = their local community

Judea = their country

Samaria = the neighboring country

End of the earth = every where else.

Like I said, we are all called to work locally first. This is where the training and experience begins.

thats all true but from my own personal experience the ones that holler "next door before over there" won't do either.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
thats all true but from my own personal experience the ones that holler "next door before over there" won't do either.

Yep. Lots of hypocrits out there that like to tell people how to live without doing it themself. I hope I am not in that group, but the good Lord knows we are all capable of it. I didn't put this in this thread to start an argument about her travel. If that is where she feels that she is most useful, more power to her.

We all know of people who go on a 'mission vacation' to see the country and have an experience, rather than going to really be of service to the locals there. It seems if she is going to be gone that long, she may have a sincere desire to be useful to them.

God bless

Swamprat

Swamprat

She and her mom (my wife) did a mission trip at an orphanage in the Bahamas a few years ago. She will be at an orphanage again for this trip.

I have no fears whatsoever about her walk in life and she does not stray from it by her own choosing. She has friends who are into all kinds of bad behavior but she wants no part of it. She goes to school, gets good grades, works part time, studies and goes to church every Wednesday and Sunday. I can't ask any more than that out of a child.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
She and her mom (my wife) did a mission trip at an orphanage in the Bahamas a few years ago. She will be at an orphanage again for this trip.

I have no fears whatsoever about her walk in life and she does not stray from it by her own choosing. She has friends who are into all kinds of bad behavior but she wants no part of it. She goes to school, gets good grades, works part time, studies and goes to church every Wednesday and Sunday. I can't ask any more than that out of a child.

If she is looking for a husband, I have just the son for her.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Swamprat

Swamprat
If she is looking for a husband, I have just the son for her.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Maybe after college but no offense she is dang picky. She doesn't even have a boyfriend now. She says she is to busy for one which is mostly true.

School, work and church are her main loves right now.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Maybe after college but no offense she is dang picky. She doesn't even have a boyfriend now. She says she is to busy for one which is mostly true.

School, work and church are her main loves right now.

Nothing at all wrong with that sir. Sounds like you have raised a fine daughter with her priorities in order.

Walker44

First off I AM NOT LDS ! ( who I would trust to the max ) But I would not allow my child outside of the US for any purpose in this political climate
I believe that the LDS mission folks are in local homes under the sight of fellow families which would give an added assurance --- I see them all the time properly dressed riding bikes and shopping to get their own food ------- I always pitch into the hat to get them something extra While I don't accept their message I totally accept their vigor and belief and respect that .

Latest posts