AR-15 or AK-47

What is your weapon of choice, AR or AK?

• AR-15

Votes: 62 87.3%
  • AK-47

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters

BuckHunter31

This is the ultimate, never ending question. Because there is no right or wrong answer. I'd like to hear from you which platform you prefer and why?

I'm running both but have really been considering to consolidate in one. It's a lot of up keep to maintain both if you shoot a bit. Double the mags, double the spare parts, double the ammo, double the practice (the fun part)

For what I do, plinking and close range stuff (within 150 yards) I've been leaning towards the AK. Plus I just enjoy shooting the big 7.62 round. So... what do you prefer?

pdsniper

I have an original Israeli Galil AR in 308 so you get the best of both worlds the AK reliability with AR 308 Accuracy the Galil is a much more refined version of the AK

Attachments

• rare_galil.jpg
    rare_galil.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

hayseed_theology

I have an original Israeli Galil AR in 308 so you get the best of both worlds the AK reliability with AR 308 Accuracy the Galil is a much more refined version of the AK

x2

AR-10 is the best of both worlds. That's what I tote for hog hunting.

TheBuckMan

Ak-47/ I would shoot the ar regularly but the ammo is so darn expensive. I got Ak ammo at Academy for 3.50 a box yesterday when AR ammo is 9+

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Why limit yourself to one or the other? Get both!

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I want accuracy even out to 600 plus yards. 5 shot group was shot at 100 yds. with my hunting reloads.

gt40

Attachments

• 100 yd. group .JPG
    100 yd. group .JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 496

4x4

AR all day long here. I just don't see anyone shooting an ak accurately past 200 yds.

You can build one a heckuva lot cheaper than buying one right out. I built this one for predator hunting, for 1/3 of what you could buy one with the same parts. I started with a striped lower from Anderson Manufacturing, installed a Rock River LPK with a 2 stage national match trigger, magpul stock, buffer and spring, SSA flat-top upper, DPMS stainless bull barrel with 1-9 twist and DPMS bolt carrier. Got a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40 scope. Absolute tack driver out to 300 yds.
IMG_20140825_212248686_HDR_zpsmo4hchr4.jpg
[/URL]

Attachments

• _20140902_204851.jpg
    _20140902_204851.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 476

BuckHunter31

I get okay groups with my AK's. Not precision accuracy but still decent grouping. 100 yards with irons

If I need to be more precise I'll break out a bolt gun. But for a tough, no frills, reliable weapon the AK is hard to beat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
An AR with a 7.62x39 upper is almost a best-of-both-worlds scenario-great hunting and plinking gun. I think the AK will go through more stuff and still be going bang than the AR, though.

BigD1Br

No doubt, an AK is gonna take a lot more punishment and keep functioning without flaw. But I have put my AR through a lot and it has never jammed. So unless you plan on absolutely abusing your gun, the extreme reliability of an AK isn't really needed.

BuckHunter31

pdsniper that thing is awesome!

GT and 4x4 no doubt the AR is far superior in accuracy. I love my AR rifles. No recoil, fast round with good ballistics and surgical cut accuracy.

For me it's more of a "what's more fun the shoot" matter. Something about the 7.62 that's just more fun for me. Ammo is cheaper, parts and guns are cheaper, can really take the abuse and keeps ticking. But I've never had a problem with my main AR setup so they are neck and neck in reliability.

Doubt I'll ever part ways with either. Just curious as to how other folks feel.

wareagle700

Ill take the AR design over the AK design all day, every day, twice on Sunday. AK's were only interesting when you could get them cheap. With the prices they are now, I would rather have another AR.

GoldDot40

AR-10 gets my vote. That's definitely on my wish list. Likely will build my own.

GunnSmokeer

AK if you like Iron Sights

BuckHunter31, you said you think the AK is the better gun for your purposes, which are plinking and shooting for fun at 150 yards or less.

You say you prefer shooting a .30 bullet.

Okay, so that should settle it, IF you are okay with mediocre accuracy even at 150 yards, and if you're good with iron sights.

I've never shot an AK that was even close to being as accurate as an AR. The two AK-47's that I used to own were good for about 12" groups at 100 yards. With an AR-15, I would shoot 3' - 4" groups under the same conditions, with the factory standard iron sights on both guns.

Other people report that they can get 2" groups from their AKs. Not me. I've never done it, nor have I ever personally seen anybody else do it.

I guess it all comes down to what level of accuracy you need to have "fun" plinking.
If you want to make empty Coke cans jump when you shoot them from 25 yards away, the AK will work for that.

If you want to hit "somewhere in the torso" of a man sized silhouette target at 150 yards, the AK will do that, too.

If you want to put up a bullseye target and take your time and aim well and put three rounds in the black, you probably want the AR.

And if you ever want to scope the weapon, you certainly want the AR.

If you have some other rifle that satisfies your need for accuracy and will serve as a long-range weapon that is useful out to 500 yards, then fine, sell your AR and keep that AK as a close range carbine that's fun to shoot and much more effective at distance than any pistol or shotgun.

MCBUCK

this was at 100 yards...the top group was me just yankin the trigger, and then I saw what it was doing and slowed down some and I printed the 5 shot bottom group. This is my first AR since my "Uncle" loaned me one from 81-86....I was surprised and impressed with their abilities....with 55gr PMC FMJ and a cheap/inexpensive Firefield scope.

Attachments

• ar target.jpg
    ar target.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 270

bighonkinjeep

There's a simple solution, Just keep one or more of each. I don't find upkeep of both to be that big of a deal at all.
This being said I have a MAK that I'm very fond of. It has been upgraded with quality parts and features a good trigger, collapsible stock on a quality tube, a cushy rubber grip, a solid synthetic front hand guard and forward optics rail. It's reliable with plenty of power and the accuracy is very good even with cheap ammo. There are a lot of improvements that have come along in the last 60 years.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
AR all day long and twice on Sunday...I prefer the ergonomics, weight and the irons are way better than any AK. I enjoy plinking with my AK clones but in a real world situation I am grabbing my AR.

Big7

The Oracle
Other people report that they can get 2" groups from their AKs. Not me. I've never done it, nor have I ever personally seen anybody else do it.

Me neither. I have never owned one but have shot a few.
REAL RUSSIAN as well as the chink-a-dink Norinco.

Me thinks the "claims" of small groups at distance are stretching the truth a little.:bounce:

I would not have one if it were given to me.

Not a bad round though. I do have a mint Yugo
SKS and it shoots pretty good. Wood is REAL heavy.
I think it has the best bayonet I have EVER seen
on any rifle regardless of era.

If I really wanted to accurately shoot 7.62X39
I would get the Ruger Mini 30.

Can't go wrong with a Ruger.;)