I'm mad! Why must you kill small bucks?

Killer Kyle

And to reference NCHillbilly's post, I have been hunting the Chatt NF this entire season since the archery opener. I have hunted the mountains 2-3 times per week, snd I still have not seen one single deer. Literally, not one. I got a trail cam pic of a doe back in July and was mighty proud. That is probably as close to a deer as Ill get up there this year. Good point NCHillbilly, very good point.

hunting has become such a sport of size rather than a sport of putting extra food in a freezer and then to the table the way the economy is going if you know how to hunt you will survive if you dont then youre gonna be screwed the grocery stores are getting outrageous in prices and paychecks are getting smaller

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The ones that shoot small bucks are usually the ones that cant kill big ones. Im just saying....

Why must you talk about that way:rofl: It should read;
Ones that can kill big bucks don't shoot little ones.:cool:

Me shootem big
Me shootem small
Me Chief shootem all

:biggrin2:

flintlock58

Might be all that walks by, when you are in need of meat. I don`t see why it`s such a big deal anyway. Are we deer hunters, or deer farmers? It matters not one bit to me what anybody shoots, as long as they are happy with it. We all have our reasons for the takin` of whatever particular class of deer we shoot. In the last 4 years, I haven`t even shot a buck, just does. And a good many of them too. As I get older, I`m more interested in meat for the freezer. Now understand, if a big buck gives me the chance, he`s gonna get shot, and if I want to take a small buck, I will, and you won`t hear me givin` any excuse for takin` it. I`m not the least bit worried about that deer that wanders across the property line, whether he lives, or gets shot by the next man. That deer doesn`t belong to anybody, till they can put their hand on him. A lot of folks oughter lighten up and hunt for the fun of it, not just for the antlers, or braggin` rights.

amen:clap:

Hankus

Don't call em hornmongers :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The ones that shoot small bucks are usually the ones that cant kill big ones. Im just saying....

I've shot a big buck one day and a spike or buttonhead the next. They're all made out of deer meat, brother, and they're all fun to hunt, from babies to mac-daddies. I don't care if it's bigger than my last one.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bump

Link to the original locked thread in post #12.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was born a buck hunter. The way I see it. I’m older now and never know when my last season will be. I’m 62. Well if it takes 5 years for a spike to get to trophy status I’d be 67 before I could shoot it as a trophy. I don’t hunt the same properties I did when I was 40 ain’t been in the woods where I hunted in my 20s as a young man either ( thought that would last forever ) I still seem to get a ok buck !
We eat deer meat and want to continue. Last time I checked does have fawns. My area is ok with does but wouldn’t hurt to have a few more. Why would I want to shoot a doe when I have plenty of little bucks running around for meat. My area I hunt no one seems to want to manage. Talk about it. Til they hunt. It’s always the club next door that shoots what walks.
Our bunch did good this year for a few good bucks. All seen deer. Most got a deer. Next county over is trophy.
Summary ;)
Some deer need culling !

Gator89

I get no thrill at all over shooting small bucks. Shot plenty as a kid though….i enjoy the process and watching them grow more than any of it now. Good way to pass the time waiting on duck and turkey season to get here….

In some ways I am fortunate that I was 26 when I killed my first deer.

I was in my 40's before I ever killed more than one deer in a single season.

So, I was well into my 50's before I started letting small bucks walk. And if the dogs run one out, he is still going get lead sent his way.