Prescription coyote rifle......

Alan in GA

I'm reminded of the presence of a coyote den behind my house every time a siren goes by the highway about a half mile away. I have a suppressed 10/22 but I'm not convinced it's (22LR) powerful enough for coyotes. I also have a 22 mag. My suppressor is not rated for a 22 mag, so thinking of getting a better tool for killing coyotes nearby (my house and neighbors).
*** suppressed ($$$ but may have to buy);
*** Ruger American in 300BKO or 308(?);
***Ruger 77/357 w/suppressor (I already have this rifle but will have to be threaded)
-- the American comes ready -threaded and fast twist
..... opinions welcome.
Note: I believe suppression IS a necessity for this rifle to be used in populated areas... a necessary expense.
Any one else gotten serious about a coyote rifle for 'close in'?

Last edited:

Ff2012

Do u have an AR? If so I'd get a 300black out upper and suppress it. U can go cheap and get the oil filter suppressor which actually quiets it down a lot .22 and 22 mag are not enough unless ur making all head shots.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
A .22LR/.22mag is a gracious plenty to kill a 35lb yote.

Ff2012

Not saying the 22lr/22mag won't kill it , just not immediately. Head shots like I said is a different story.but go ahead and try to shoot one with the 22 , he's gonna tote that bullet further off than you'd like to track.

Alan in GA

I've considered an AR type but probably going to stay with a bolt action I guess, might investigate an AR but I don't have any experience with them.
Anybody have a few 300bko coyote killed
Reports?

Ff2012

I've killed a few with the 300 , the supersonic ammo does excellent, DRT. the subsonic does pretty good at shorter distances

Trapper Glatzer

Alan, when you say "close in", how close in? A 12 gauge with #4 buck is terrific out to 40-50 yards with a full choke. I know this will anger some people but, a 22 mag or even a 22 lr behind the shoulder will kill him, but he can run a long way before he dies, but the idea is to kill them, of course check your local laws about discharging a firearm. I hate coyotes as they have decimated the deer fawn population as well as the turkey poults in Ga.. The DNR just released a finding from their biologists that says 67% of the fawns die to coyotes. I would rather have a chat with my neighbors explaining why they may hear an occasional shot than to spend $400-800 for a suppressor. If that doesn't work for you, you can advertise for a trapper in this section and you will get some help.
Good luck,
Trapper

XtremeBowhunter91

I've shot a couple coyotes with a 17hmr and 22 mag and they are always DRT. No head or neck shots, just a good Ole heart shot. I just use the Hornady V-Max. They can barely be heard inside my house when I'm shooting from atleast 50 yards away in the back yard.

Alan in GA

22 mag......

Maybe I need a can for my CZ452 in 22 mag?? Still the supersonic crack but.... already have the rifle. My TAC 65 is rated for 22LR only. Some report using them on 22 mags successfully...but,.. hmmm..

XtremeBowhunter91

Maybe I need a can for my CZ452 in 22 mag?? Still the supersonic crack but.... already have the rifle. My TAC 65 is rated for 22LR only. Some report using them on 22 mags successfully...but,.. hmmm..

I would probably not tempt fate with your suppressor on the 22 Mag. They aren't too cheap lol. But as long as you aren't shooting more than one shot at a time, I doubt anyone would pay any attention to the sound un-suppressed.

PS. The FoxPro is louder than the gunshot for me

I'm reminded of the presence of a coyote den behind my house every time a siren goes by the highway about a half mile away. I have a suppressed 10/22 but I'm not convinced it's (22LR) powerful enough for coyotes. I also have a 22 mag. My suppressor is not rated for a 22 mag, so thinking of getting a better tool for killing coyotes nearby (my house and neighbors).
*** suppressed ($$$ but may have to buy);
*** Ruger American in 300BKO or 308(?);
***Ruger 77/357 w/suppressor (I already have this rifle but will have to be threaded)
-- the American comes ready -threaded and fast twist
..... opinions welcome.
Note: I believe suppression IS a necessity for this rifle to be used in populated areas... a necessary expense.
Any one else gotten serious about a coyote rifle for 'close in'?

IMHO, your suppressed 10/22 is ideal for in the 'burbs for up to 50-60 yards with CCI mini-mag and a red dot sight. Just call or bait them into this range and keep pulling the trigger until it hits the ground. :shoot: The nearby nervous-Nellies will think any sound they do hear is firecrackers. Above all, be aware of the background so you don't hit your neighbor.

oppthepop

I wouldn't hesitate with the .22 but if you feel under gunned that little 22 mag will do anything you want to do.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Heart lung shot with a .22lr and you'll have it DRT. They are about the easiest animals to penetrate and kill(Cept a rabbit)...........I hit one that did a back flip and a last gasp within 5 to 8 seconds.......just kill it.

Alan in GA

Ok guys,... I HAVE the 22 supressed and will give the heart lung shot the next go around.

Alan in GA

And now have a Ruger Ranch 300BO. Will take a while to get $$$ for a suppressor. Coyotes near my house look out!

JohnK

Calling around houses will likely attract dogs, kids and neighbors that just want to investigate. Anyway....people are going to know what you're doing long before you shoot so a shotgun maybe acceptable once they realize what's going on. I stay away from houses because of dogs.

AdamFly

I was at gander mountain a couple days ago and saw a T/C Compass. It comes with a threaded barrel with a cap to protect the threads. I can't speak to the accuracy as I've never shot one, but I if its accurate the compass in a .223 or .243 may be possible depending on what your backdrop to where the den is looks like. I believe the compass was about 350.