Coyote problem

bna910

Three years ago we found a new piece of property. Noticed many coyote tracks on the roads and less than expected turkey population. Its now year three and the coyotes seem to be everywhere. Tracks on every road and we hear them just before dark from all directions. Much of our land has been clear cut last year and with as many coyotes we have, I've only seen 2 in the three years. One was a black yote while feeding up. Any suggestions? Club is 1800 acres and east of Valdosta. Deer numbers seem down while yotes seem plentiful.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds pretty much normal for anywhere in the southeast that I have been. The coywolf population is healthy pretty much everywhere.

deerpoacher1970

Three years ago we found a new piece of property. Noticed many coyote tracks on the roads and less than expected turkey population. Its now year three and the coyotes seem to be everywhere. Tracks on every road and we hear them just before dark from all directions. Much of our land has been clear cut last year and with as many coyotes we have, I've only seen 2 in the three years. One was a black yote while feeding up. Any suggestions? Club is 1800 acres and east of Valdosta. Deer numbers seem down while yotes seem plentiful.
You need to start trapping

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
It's the same song and dance everywhere you go! I hate them... But hardly ever see one , just hear them at night! It's probably one of the slickest animals in the woods!

95g atl

Trap them
Shoot them
Though when you kill that pack, others ones may likely move in.

Look for a new club?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Predators are just like everything else. They go where the feed is.

bna910

I have no trap experience, would like someone who did to come have some fun. I would shoot one if I could see them

95g atl

I have no trap experience, would like someone who did to come have some fun. I would shoot one if I could see them

You should get PLENTY of PM's offering assistance with trapping.

In fact, you could likely start a new thread saying something to the effect of: XXXXXX county club has FREE coyote trapping membership.

In my worthless opinion, I would require a highly experienced trappers with actual proof of success. I have traps, have some experience, HOWEVER, I would not call myself "experienced" by any means.

Probably need references from the "trapper", proof of ample equipment, meet in person, etc, etc, before commitment. 1800 acres requires LOTS of traps, and lots of experience to be the least bit successful. :)

au7126

X2 on references for trapper. Three years past we hired and paid for trapper. Did not catch any. Found different one last year and he put them down. In two weeks took 20 plus. We have him now and entering second week he has eight through last Friday. We try to tandem with adjoining property owner so he can check traps at both locations easier with one trip. He is the best and has a wait list most of time. PM if you want info.