Are bobcats threat to pets in the suburbs ?

It's well known that coyotes will often attack housecats and small dogs when they invade the suburbs. But do bobcats do the same ? Do they even come into the suburbs or city for any reason at all ? :huh:

Never heard of this happening, but it certainly seems possible.

Gentleman4561

I have yet to see any, I have killing coyotes like crazy in the south end of Gwinnett county though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a big one grab my porch cat once and try to tote it off, until my wife beat the crap out of it with a broom. :eek: I live out in the woods, though, not in the burbs.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Maybe house cats...I do not see them being a threat to most dogs though. We used to hunt them with hounds and we had a runt July that we used as the strike dog/road dog (she had a great nose), many a time she would strike as soon as we let her out, and the bobcat would be treed before any other dog was out.

Dr. Strangelove

I haven't seen any bobcats in my neighborhood, though we do have a bunch of cougars. They're not generally dangerous to household pets unless driving. I can't seem to trap one, hard as I try. They are wiley creatures.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
in theory yes but other pets are much more of a threat from my personal experience.

Steve762us

I haven't seen any bobcats in my neighborhood, though we do have a bunch of cougars. They're not generally dangerous to household pets unless driving. I can't seem to trap one, hard as I try. They are wiley creatures.

I've heard a trail cam over a hot tub is a good set up. :bounce:

Dr. Strangelove

I've heard a trail cam over a hot tub is a good set up. :bounce:

Not a bad idea, I'll look into putting a hot tub on the back deck for cougar trapping purposes.

rosewood

Watched the video. Dang yuppy doesn't know how to solve a varmint problem. He is being held hostage by a bobcat. Lol.

Flaustin1

Anybody else notice the snare in front of the cage trap? Whats up with that?

rosewood

Anybody else notice the snare in front of the cage trap? Whats up with that?

Staged photo by someone that doesn't have a clue?

We have 3 that run around on my property, 2 orange and 1 gray. Never have had them mess with any of my dogs. Of course when they get their but tanned with rubber buckshot they tend to stay away from the house.

Bowyer29

Use a sweeter bait brother. They all have a sweet tooth. :cheers:

Barebowyer

I have seen them in town many times. I would say they will be an opportunistic feeder. I hope they do thin out some of the cats, etc...

Alan in GA

There is a video of a bobcat killing a yearling deer,... pretty disturbing. The quickness of it dragging down a deer twice it's size is alarming.
I would say any dog or cat is in danger if a bobcat is around.