Tired of hearing about hog problems

95g atl

exactly.
Now I can understand why farmers do you not want folks to run dogs on their land, or sit there all day and hunt over something day and night. However, with these traps the time on the actual property is far less than what would be required if it was hunted.

I guess in my case with the The individual that reached out to me and then did not call back was a blessing. Set up a few thousand dollars worth of traps, spend my time and fuel going back-and-forth, and not charging them a penny for assistance.

What the heck am I thinking… Ha ha ha

across the river

Good on ya Brian!:cheers:

Sounds like you had to work to gain access as you did. No ones gonna call and say can you come out? Unless you are a Jager Pro type outfit and even then probably not. Folks should take note of your experience if they want to "help out a farmer"..............in all reality we know we just want to hunt those awesome farmlands where you can blast them on a big open food plot:bounce:

That is why farmers don't let people hunt. Your average redneck isn't going to even so much as dent the population of a place that has pig issue, by hunting them. It is a waste of time. Even with dogs, hunters can't catch enough to make a difference. The farmer's aren't stupid and know that. Why would they open up there land for free to people, to come shoot a hog or two that does't do anything to help? It is more trouble to the farmer than it is worth.

95g atl

That is why farmers don't let people hunt. Your average redneck isn't going to even so much as dent the population of a place that has pig issue, by hunting them..

I do agree with you on that. Most (not all) of the folks looking to hunt pig, just want to hunt. Most (not all) don't give a crap about getting rid of the problems, so long as they get to hunt. Most, if not almost all, are only available on a weekend to "hunt". What about the other 5 out of 7 days??

Even with dogs, hunters can't catch enough to make a difference.

Hunting with dogs means catching one or two, and /or moving the hog population "temporary" off the property. Dogs don't know property lines and I would suspect that farmers don't want dogs going onto neighboring properties, possibly causing other issues.

Hunting in a stand to shoot one, two, or three hogs likely isn't going to make a huge difference with a hog problem either. It's a FREE place for a hunter to "hunt"

The farmer's aren't stupid and know that. Why would they open up there land for free to people, to come shoot a hog or two that does't do anything to help? It is more trouble to the farmer than it is worth.

Finally, while there are hunters that respect property, follow all rules, and have the least amount of impact on the actual land, exist. We have ALL heard stories on here about "giving permission to hunt" and the hunter invites friends, leaves gates open, trespasses outside of season, etc., etc.

With all that said, if I was a farmer, I'd hire out help to solve the hog problem. Let the professionals handle it. Less hassle in the long run.

----

agree or disagree, it is merely my 2 pesos on this topic.

georgia_home

Bf, when I started reading the thread, my mind went to jager. I liked the nv hunts and it just looked like a blast.

I was looking at some nv stuff recently and came across some of his videos. Wow, I wasn't aware of all the trapping stuff they had going on.

Their remote monitoring and remote pen triggers, etc , are pretty interesting.

Taking out whole sounders is pretty slick. Definitely an industrial strength solution compared to the smaller ops.

Good on ya Brian!:cheers:

Sounds like you had to work to gain access as you did. No ones gonna call and say can you come out? Unless you are a Jager Pro type outfit and even then probably not. Folks should take note of your experience if they want to "help out a farmer"..............in all reality we know we just want to hunt those awesome farmlands where you can blast them on a big open food plot:bounce:

across the river

With all that said, if I was a farmer, I'd hire out help to solve the hog problem. Let the professionals handle it. Less hassle in the long run.

agree or disagree, it is merely my 2 pesos on this topic.

I 100% agree with you. However, the professionals aren't the ones on here complaining, which was the point of my previous post.

chill15

Banned
I'm tired of hearing land owners saying "I have hog problem" then when I tell them I will help get rid of them they won't let me set a trap or hunt them.

Just because you like to hog hunt doesn't give you carte blanche to run free on other peoples land. And I'm pretty sure they don't seek you out to tell you they have a hog problem.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Talked to some dog hunters this week down in Georgia. They have caught 60 in a day. They have a backlog of farmers that want them to catch hogs. None of these farmers allow a live hog to be removed from the property. They have made a lot of dents in a lot of farms.

95g atl

Talked to some dog hunters this week down in Georgia. They have caught 60 in a day. They have a backlog of farmers that want them to catch hogs. None of these farmers allow a live hog to be removed from the property. They have made a lot of dents in a lot of farms.

60 in a day???
Not saying I doubt that,however, I would like to know how they do that OR what method they are using?

I suspect this is a large group of dog hunters ?

Mark R

Its all good and makes sense . I can understand why most landowners dont want to open up their property to hunters . But... I completely disagree with any public tax dollar funding going to any private closed property . But I guess that is normal now days :shoot::rofl:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
60 in a day???
Not saying I doubt that,however, I would like to know how they do that OR what method they are using?

60 is a bunch thats for sho!:fine:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
60 in a day???

I have known these guys all my life and have been with them. They have 60 or 70 dogs and hunt every weekend and during the week some also. They know their business. They do not get 60 every time they go. They went the Sat morning we were down there and only got 10. But they considered that a so so day. They catch the hogs and kill them with knives, they also have standers on the outside edges of the heads they run, who shoot them in the fields.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I still don't know if killing them is a long term solution in all areas, but where they hunt is mostly agricultural lands with lot of heads and tract of timber bordered by fields. but it seems to work for them.

95g atl

I have known these guys all my life and have been with them. They have 60 or 70 dogs and hunt every weekend and during the week some also. They know their business. They do not get 60 every time they go. They went the Sat morning we were down there and only got 10. But they considered that a so so day. They catch the hogs and kill them with knives, they also have standers on the outside edges of the heads they run, who shoot them in the fields.

Gotcha......60-70 dogs is a HUGE operation. Quite the opposite of the norm.
I envision MOST run a couple/few dogs and lucky to get about the same amount of hogs in a day.