Which entry level gun??

mhayes

i have a good friend that is getting into deer hunting. He has borrowed a few rifles of mine before this past year. But he wants to get his own and be able to go more often. He doesn't have a lot of money to spend on camo and gear. He is keeping it low pried as he can. I have helped him do some research. He has held and fondled all the rifles in this category. He has narrowed it down to these three. So out of these three models what are the pros and cons that your experience with them tells us? He is looking for accuracy, reliability or functionality issues. He is staying with the 30-06 as he wants to be able to use one gun for all he might hunt. Plus he has enjoyed mine. This is his order as to what he likes after holding them.
1. Winchester XPR
2. Browning A bolt 3
3. Ruger American

Open to all suggestions and reports....

Thanks Matt

Klondike

Savage 10/110

Should be on the list. Skip the axis and you will still be in the other 3 price range.

Beretta682

Dont rule out the remington 783. I got both of my boys one and am pretty impressed. One a .308 and the other a compact .243. The scope isnt great but i wound up getting them for 250 on sale and with a rebate.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
What is his budget? You might be able to find a good used rifle to save more money and leave enough money for a good inexpensive scope and rings. Vortex and Bushnell make excellent inexpensive scopes. I have used many Bushnell scopes without one hiccup from any of them in more than 30 plus years. I do have a Vortex PST FFP MOA scope which is a great scope also. I do suggest buying new scopes though.

Below is my BAR 30-06 with my favorite Bushnell 3.5-10x45mm scope with a 4-plex reticule which I think is more than 30 years old. I also have Weaver rings on it that may be 30 years old and probably cost less than $20.00 today.

gt40

PS: I don't even think they make a 45mm anymore.

Attachments

• BAR : BUSHNELL .jpg
    BAR : BUSHNELL .jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 667
  • BUSHNELL 45MM SCOPE.jpg
    BUSHNELL 45MM SCOPE.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 622

one hogman

Dont rule out the remington 783. I got both of my boys one and am pretty impressed. One a .308 and the other a compact .243. The scope isnt great but i wound up getting them for 250 on sale and with a rebate.

What he said; I bought one at Academy for $299.00 in .243 it is a tack driver, I shot three deer and a Bobcat with it this past season , I like it a lot, The first thing I did was change out the Scope:)

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
.243 is a great round. I've killed at least 50 deer with one mostly using Sierra 85 grain Game King reloads, but any bullet about that weight will be devastating on deer.

gt40

Dub

i have a good friend that is getting into deer hunting. He has borrowed a few rifles of mine before this past year. But he wants to get his own and be able to go more often. He doesn't have a lot of money to spend on camo and gear. He is keeping it low pried as he can. I have helped him do some research. He has held and fondled all the rifles in this category. He has narrowed it down to these three. So out of these three models what are the pros and cons that your experience with them tells us? He is looking for accuracy, reliability or functionality issues. He is staying with the 30-06 as he wants to be able to use one gun for all he might hunt. Plus he has enjoyed mine. This is his order as to what he likes after holding them.
1. Winchester XPR
2. Browning A bolt 3
3. Ruger American

Open to all suggestions and reports....

Thanks Matt

From that list.......without doubt I can recommend this one.

He'll be one and done. Only rifle he'll ever need.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ts_id/88521/Browning+A-Bolt3+COM+STLK+3006+NS

biggdogg

I bought my son a Winchester XPR for Christmas. The thing is a tack driver. Great gun for the money. Also, don't overlook a Savage 11/111 either.

mhayes

I bought my son a Winchester XPR for Christmas. The thing is a tack driver. Great gun for the money. Also, don't overlook a Savage 11/111 either.

How is the stock on that rifle compared to the Ruger? To me the Ruger is flimsy and feels like a solo cup. Only Ruger's that I own are wood stocks. I like em all. The few composite stock rifles I own are Browning Abolts. That is what he has borrowed.

biggdogg

It is not bad. Much, much better than the one on the American. The fore end is very rigid in the XPR. A friend of mine bought his daughter an American and I don't like the stock on that at all.

GA native

The few composite stock rifles I own are Browning Abolts. That is what he has borrowed.

Seems like the choice is already made. Can't go wrong with a Browning.

Though I wouldn't rule out the used racks either. I've seen Model 70's, with wood furniture, on the used racks in the $500 range. I picked up a used 700 for $250 last summer. Bargains are out there, especially now that deer season is closed.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I'd have him take a look at a Tikka T3 as well.

44magpastor

Of the 3, I'd go with the Browning.

If he's open to suggestions, take a look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2. Less than 500 bucks and guaranteed accuracy. I have one in 270.

roperdoc

The Browning hands down. (That's what is in my avatar.)

Bud's has the composite Browning with a nikon scope as a combo under 600$.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Personally for someone on a budget I'd say buy the cheapest rifle he can find and the best scope he can afford.

Big7

The Oracle
Food for thought.

Deer season is over. Now is the buyer's market.

Might want to check out those things FKA "pawn shops"
that most are now just "gun stores".

You WILL be able to find higher end rifles for the same money.

Deer don't care if it has been shot a few times or has a scratch
stock.

You can get a better rifle and the deer will be just as DEAD.