GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Deer and Small Game Hunting and Trail Cams > Deer Hunting

Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 AM

Great news
Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Saw this report on local tv today just before dinner time.

WSB TV video states that the founder of the Atlanta Coyote Project is "angered, stunned, & frustrated" when he heard about the Georgia Coyote Challenge. (the 1-min. video report was updated to the 2-min. version where the editors also removed the words "angered" & "frustrated")

As stated in the DNR press release, let's not forget that the "coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator".

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb...ense/495834884

'Coyote Challenge' asks people to kill coyotes for free hunting license

Updated: Feb 20, 2017 - 6:29 PM

Quote:
Georgia Department of Natural Resources’ Wildlife Resources Division is introducing the Georgia Coyote Challenge to encourage the taking of coyotes between March and August.

http://www.wsbtv.com/video?videoId=4...deoVersion=1.0

Georgia Department of Natural Resources introduces Georgia Coyote Challenge

Published on 1:02 PM

Time = 53-seconds

The DNR wants to encourage coyote removal efforts during that period.

Published on 5:59 PM

Time = 2:03

http://atlantacoyoteproject.org/2017...ote-challenge/

Feb. 20, 2017

Sadly, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently announced the “Georgia Coyote Challenge” in a misguided attempt to reduce state coyote numbers. The Atlanta Coyote Project strongly rejects this wildlife-killing contest as both inhumane and unwise.

Last edited by BornToHuntAndFish; 02-20-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-20-2017, 06:59 PM

Maybe we should dump the dead yotes in that fellers office
I saw a lady from Cobb years ago almost get ran over on the 4 lane highway saving a mud turtle crossing the road. She was very upset when she let it go and we picked it up and put in the truck. When she asked what we were gonna do with it(the look on her face was priceless) we told her we were gonna dress it and fry it up with some gravy. She cried
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Here come all of the snowflakes crawling out of their bubbles to complain. What is wrong with these people? Now they are going to protest and put pressure on the DNR to bow down and protect the pretty little coyotes.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHuntAndFish View Post
Saw this report on local tv today just before dinner time.

WSB TV video states that the founder of the Atlanta Coyote Project is "angered, stunned, & frustrated" when he heard about the Georgia Coyote Challenge. (the 1-min. video report was updated to the 2-min. version where the editors also removed the words "angered" & "frustrated")

As stated in the DNR press release, let's not forget that the "coyote (Canis latrans) is a non-native predator".

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cobb...ense/495834884

Updated: Feb 20, 2017 - 6:29 PM

Georgia Department of Natural Resources introduces Georgia Coyote Challenge

Published on 1:02 PM

Time = 53-seconds

The DNR wants to encourage coyote removal efforts during that period.

Published on 5:59 PM

Time = 2:03

http://atlantacoyoteproject.org/2017...ote-challenge/

Feb. 20, 2017

Sadly, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recently announced the Georgia Coyote Challenge in a misguided attempt to reduce state coyote numbers. The Atlanta Coyote Project strongly rejects this wildlife-killing contest as both inhumane and unwise.

Hunting challenge or not, we will still continue to manage the coyote population on our hunt club.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:17 AM

This would be great if they'd started it a month earlier when public land was still open. I'd love to go out and shoot coyotes for the DNR but there aren't any on the private plots I can hunt from March to August.

I appreciate the effort but I'm not blowing a turkey hunt so I can keep a dead yote in a cooler until I can drive during business hours to a check station halfway across the region.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatseeker View Post
Maybe we should dump the dead yotes in that fellers office
I saw a lady from Cobb years ago almost get ran over on the 4 lane highway saving a mud turtle crossing the road. She was very upset when she let it go and we picked it up and put in the truck. When she asked what we were gonna do with it(the look on her face was priceless) we told her we were gonna dress it and fry it up with some gravy. She cried
Might not have cried but I'd have given you a look too. Hope mud turtle eats better than they smell
Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToHuntAndFish View Post
Mr. Mowry and his fellow "biologists" apparently think they know a lot about one thing but are unaware they don't know anything about a lot of things.

$10 sez he's 100% anti hunting period and can't give one good reason why.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

I suppose I`m one of the very few who don`t agree with this. I support most everything the Georgia DNR does, but not this time.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
I suppose I`m one of the very few who don`t agree with this. I support most everything the Georgia DNR does, but not this time.
I neither support nor Condone it. I have 2 farms, 1 has cattle the other doesn't. I deer, turkey and small game hunt on them both. I have never found a dead fawn carcass from a true coyote kill. I have calves that die and yes they are eaten but out of the thousands born over the years I have had few calves to die. If a Cow abandons a calf, Unless I find it soon it's still gonna be just as dead. I do kill coyotes when I see them but I think it's just a bandwagon hatred for whatever reason. Probably fueled to sell guns, night vision scopes and ammo.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Admin

Quote:
I understand your dismay and if they were a native species I might be inclined your way a little bit. I view coyotes in Georgia like pythons and boas in the Everglades. They are here to stay unfortunately but that doesn't mean they don't need some control applied.

If this program is successful in removing a couple of thousand state wide I don't believe it will hurt the coyotes much and it might be some help for our native species.

I know I've got them on my place and I know they are causing harm to all the other species so I'm trying to take as many out as I can which won't be very many at all because I've already figured out they are a lot smarter than me. If my effort spares one fawn or one turkey poult I'll call it a success and say I enjoyed the time spent in the woods, the challenge and the added bonus of learning more about the natural world.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:48 PM
FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiii View Post
I understand your dismay and if they were a native species I might be inclined your way a little bit. I view coyotes in Georgia like pythons and boas in the Everglades. They are here to stay unfortunately but that doesn't mean they don't need some control applied.

If this program is successful in removing a couple of thousand state wide I don't believe it will hurt the coyotes much and it might be some help for our native species.

I know I've got them on my place and I know they are causing harm to all the other species so I'm trying to take as many out as I can which won't be very many at all because I've already figured out they are a lot smarter than me. If my effort spares one fawn or one turkey poult I'll call it a success and say I enjoyed the time spent in the woods, the challenge and the added bonus of learning more about the natural world.

I don`t consider what we have are coyotes, Lee. I think they are red wolves, or mostly so. The difference in what we have here and western coyotes are as different as corgis are to shepherd dogs. And since the red wolf was and is native here is how I base my opinions on them. I also am of the opinion that the deer population troubles a lot of folks have in other parts of the state are in large part to trigger fingers. Not in all cases, but a lot otherwise. As for control, of course they need to be controlled, just as other furbearers are. Coons, foxes, and bobcats included, but not the unbridled, frothing at the mouth hatred that so many call for in their kill them all tirades.

I know that Europeans brought their hatred for competitive predators from the Old World with them when they came here, but I`m glad I don`t carry that in myself. I also know that in a healthy ecosystem, they do no harm and fit in well. I base this not on guesswork or prejudice, nor on collegiate learning, but on time spent studying them in their natural state, time spent in the woods, and research into the animal itself.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:01 PM

Good luck with this challenge, but the ecosystem will go on and I will do this best I can and keep buying license like I've been for 34 yrs . But I'm not driving to get a chance at a LIFETIME License. Kill Em all though
Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
I don`t consider what we have are coyotes, Lee. I think they are red wolves, or mostly so. The difference in what we have here and western coyotes are as different as corgis are to shepherd dogs. And since the red wolf was and is native here is how I base my opinions on them. I also am of the opinion that the deer population troubles a lot of folks have in other parts of the state are in large part to trigger fingers. Not in all cases, but a lot otherwise. As for control, of course they need to be controlled, just as other furbearers are. Coons, foxes, and bobcats included, but not the unbridled, frothing at the mouth hatred that so many call for in their kill them all tirades.

I know that Europeans brought their hatred for competitive predators from the Old World with them when they came here, but I`m glad I don`t carry that in myself. I also know that in a healthy ecosystem, they do no harm and fit in well. I base this not on guesswork or prejudice, nor on collegiate learning, but on time spent studying them in their natural state, time spent in the woods, and research into the animal itself.
I don't doubt your knowledge for a New York second Nick and I agree with about 85% of what you said. Even so in my neck of the woods it's not just the deer population that is suffering. I've noticed a steady decline in everything - turkeys, rabbits and even squirrels. I can blame just so much on trigger fingers and habitat changes but it still leaves a lot to be explained and based on trail camera results and physical observation of scat and other sign I know coyotes are quite possibly the missing link.

I realize if left to their own devices both predator and prey will reach a natural balance but in my locale that means a lot less of everything and that's not only what I'm seeing but what everybody around me is seeing. I can vouch for the fact in the last 5 years not one single doe has been killed on my place or the surrounding timber company leases and all in we're over 2,000 acres yet the deer population has continued to decline severely along with all the other game animals and the local habitat is capable of carrying significantly more than what it currently has.

I'm not a kill em all type by any stretch but I know I have a problem that needs tending to and if I'm lucky and kill half a dozen yotes/red wolves this year I don't suspect I will have made a significant impact on their population but I might make a small positive impact for the other creatures and right now they need it. That's why I'm doing it. I already have a lifetime license and even if there was a cash bounty offered I wouldn't be in it for that. I'm in it as a steward of the resource because I respect all of God's creatures.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:44 PM

I can't say for sure whether the yotes or red wolves(don't know which they are, but I know we've got some big ones) are hurting our deer population or not in Oglethorpe county, I can tell you they aren't doing much to curtail the raccoon population according to all my trail cam pics, and given how many armadillos we stumble onto they aren't hurting that population either. What I do know is we didn't have ANY of those dogs in our section of the county about 20 or 25 yrs ago, now I can't walk down any of our roads without seeing tracks and scat, and more nights than not we'll hear them yipping and yelping, just on our 366 acres we guesstimate we've got somewhere between half dozen to a dozen roaming around, we were doing just fine before they showed up,, so to me they haven't provided any benefit, they can go back where they came from,, or we'll try to kill as many of them as we can, either way. I just ordered one of those electronic spinning tails a few days ago, to go with my Ihunt speaker , I doubt I'll get enough to enter the contest, but it gives me another reason to spend a few weekends in the woods!
Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 PM

There's already enough predator's in the woods! NO NEED for a non native invasive! If "genetically", they are more wolf than yote, the hunting techniques of " the pack" are even more detrimental to the deer herd! Yuns cried for years that a yote wouldn't kill a adult deer, now they are wolves? All for the program!

Last edited by shakey gizzard; 02-21-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:20 PM

I like to hunt coyotes with a bow. The challenge factor. They are like a turkey that can sniff you out.
Snaring, footholds, guns, and my truck. Give me a chance, I'm killing them and can legally do so 24/7/365 days a year.
I hope the program is a howling success!

Last edited by bluemarlin; 02-21-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Its a good start to a problem. Took a walk Sunday in the mountains where few deer are left. Walking the old logging road, came across well over a dozen piles of scat. One of those piles was fresh with deer hair. Now hunting season has been closed for a while I believe it is a yote kill. Far to early for fawning season. Turkeys have been dwindling down over the years. Grouse are gone. Yotes run these mountains like the wolves did years ago but I believe they are rougher on smaller game.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Q Cookin, Fly Tyin, Mod

I say kill them all. Good job Charlie!!!!!!!! Not only fawn killers! You can't have outdoor pets, yard chickens around here for them. Some very young calves and goats are taken by them as well. I don't think this program will decimate the coyote population but will help manage it.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Official Political Forum Meme Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paymaster View Post
I don't think this program will decimate the coyote population but will help manage it.
I don't think this program will put a dent in the population but I like the efforts of the DNR to start some kind of program. At least the coyote problem is on the radar of the DNR.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
Executive Director of Uselessness, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.

A guy could spend months in the woods chasing coyotes for the "chance" to win or for the credits towards a licence, or just get a part-time job for a few weekends and buy one. Sounds good on paper but the truth is it would be cheaper and less time consuming just to buy your own.

Signed ~ Debbie Downer