Club Rules Concerning Guests

matrok

Just wanting some opinions on club rules about guests. We have a no guest policy during deer season, but allow guests(2 or 3) when the season ends to shoot hogs and coyotes. Recently, one of our members brought a pretty large group to coon hunt and some of the members are not happy about it, stating they didn't pay dues to allow folks to come and hunt for free. I'm the president of the club and we've always had "gentlemens rules"(not written). Never had an issue until now. I do have the required insurance, as per the timber company, and I need to look over the policy to see if there's any liability for anyone not listed. Wondering what other clubs rules are concerning this.

"Our" rule on guests is that they may shoot only one buck and one doe. They can only come two times in a season. (Generally arriving on Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday) so one could get 4 good hunts in each trip.

If they start showing up each season as a guest-they are expected to start paying dues !

We have gotten several new members over the years this way and it seems to work !

Also-within our rules-all members are to show respect to the guest, answer questions, etc...No rudeness, nor any of that stuff!

Also-the member who brings the guest is responsible for bringing the guest up to speed on where to hunt, how to get there, the requirement to close each gate after they enter it, that sort of stuff!

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Immediate family only. No guest
We would not care about hogs or a coon hunt after season. As long as say member is there.
Your member payed to deer hunt under said rules. They have nothing to do with the coon hunt.
Did said member ask u 1st. ?

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
We allow guests as long as it is not abused. It never has been. The general rule is twice but could flex under special circumstances. Never has. This has allowed us to add members that we were already familiar with and also felt would fit in. We have a pretty good group and this is how we built it. Selfishness and unfriendly behavior will get you your money back or a failure to renew. So will bellyaching. I have said it a hundred times. Hunting clubs are like women. Find one that you can live with and can live with you.

Lilly001

Ours isn't really a club in the normal sense. I own 3/4 of the land we hunt and the other two (my brother and a good friend) lease the rest.
Guest are required to work 1 day for every day they hunt. Usually work in the summer and hunt after Thanksgiving.
Od thing is we have only had 1 taker and he chose not to repeat.

deers2ward

Ours isn't really a club in the normal sense. I own 3/4 of the land we hunt and the other two (my brother and a good friend) lease the rest.
Guest are required to work 1 day for every day they hunt. Usually work in the summer and hunt after Thanksgiving.
Od thing is we have only had 1 taker and he chose not to repeat.

Nice

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We would love for a member to bring a guest coon hunting on our club. It's been many years since we've had a coon hunter

We have a part time member who only coon hunts. Pays half normal dues.....no coon hunting during deer or turkey season.

Wish they would kill more coons !!!

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
As long as it's not deer or turkey season it wouldn't bother me , but a lot of folks think coon dogs run all the deer off and think they will never come back !

Big7

The Oracle
That's funny, could be, except said member has ruffled a few feathers over the last few years. We are a small club of 7 members on 360 acres.

Just don't re-up him next season. Problem solved.

There are plenty of folks willing to pay for a spot and go by the "rules". ;)

And, the "rules" need to be in writing. That way, everyone knows. One strike and out works good too..

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.

There are plenty of folks willing to pay for a spot and go by the "rules". ;)

And, the "rules" need to be in writing. That way, everyone knows. One strike and out works good too..

I think the consequences should be in writing too. It is no fun asking everybody what are we going to do when somebody blatantly breaks a rule...

My favorite rule ever: Each member gets his two buck limit. If a guest kills a buck, that is counted agaist the members two bucks. Seriously cuts down on visitors but yet remains open visitor policy.

whchunter

Membership Quota

Just use membership quota and don't worry about the rest. I've seen plenty of discussions on this and to be fair to all members you can't tell one member who is single or who doesn't have family members that hunt that he/she can't bring anyone to hunt with them. This is especially bad for older members since having someone there is a safety factor. All members pay the same and should be allowed the same privileges.
As to coon hunting I would think that unless your club has a lot of members who hunt coon that they would be glad to see coons removed since they compete with the deer for food.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Do the people complaining about coon hunters also complain about coons in their corn piles?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
That's funny, could be, except said member has ruffled a few feathers over the last few years. We are a small club of 7 members on 360 acres.

Sounds like that member is the common denominator in all of the dissension. Perhaps replacing them come time to renew the dues would be the simplest solution.

snookdoctor

We have guidelines, and only one rule. That rules is that if we have to make a rule for you, we will. Might as well pack your stuff at the end of the season.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We have guidelines, and only one rule. That rules is that if we have to make a rule for you, we will. Might as well pack your stuff at the end of the season.

What he said except you won't make it to the end of the season on my place. ^