Palmetto State Armory

Poor Poor Fisherman

I've seen Palmetto State Armory advertised for years and have heard some very good things about them. They have 4 or 5 store locations in South Carolina. We were in Greenville this weekend visiting our daughter and her family and so I went over to their local store. I gotta say, it was really big and super impressive! There must have had at least 35 employees in the store. There were huge amounts of ammo stacked up and people were buying it in all quantities including by the case! They had 18 shooting lanes and there was a waiting list to get on one. The gun counter was huge, well stocked, packed with shoppers and people were litterly lined up to talk to one of the clerks and look at guns. As I walked by the gun display case, I saw 6 or 7 people filling out the form that is needed to purchase a weapon at that time.

The prices looked good but not really better than some gun stores we have in Georgia. But they must have any and everything anyone would want or need under one roof! And I mean every possible accessory, supplies, hard to find ammo, gun, clothing, etc. someone could imagine. Their training room was large and also well equipped. There may very well be a gun store in Georgia that compares to this store however I haven't seen it yet. If there is, I would definitely like to also pay them a visit.

So needless to say, I was impressed!

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I've gotten stuff from them online. Never have been to a store though. May try and check one out if I'm ever by that area.

Dub

I go through Columbia every couple months and keep telling myself I'll stop at one of the locations....yet I never do.

I've heard nothing but good things about their stores.

cmshoot

Their quality tends to be hit n' miss, customer service is lousy, and they've got a history of jerking prices around to fit the current buying frenzy due to political climate. For instance, 500rds of M118LR the day before the San Bernadino terrorist attack was $399. The day after the attack, the same ammo was $700.

I'm going off of numerous issues that folks I know have had. I've ordered a few things from them and haven't had a problem.

cmshoot

Their quality tends to be hit n' miss, customer service is lousy, and they've got a history of jerking prices around to fit the current buying frenzy due to political climate. For instance, 500rds of M118LR the day before the San Bernadino terrorist attack was $399. The day after the attack, the same ammo was $700.

I'm going off of numerous issues that folks I know have had. I've ordered a few things from them and haven't had a problem.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have ordered a ton of stuff from them, have built a couple ARs from their components, and I have never had a single issue with quality or customer service. All 100% solid in my experience.

frankwright

I did not know they had retail stores.

I have bought several uppers, a few guns and some ammo from them and bought when the prices were really low.

So far I am happy with everything I got from them but have heard of people getting some poor quality items.

660griz

Other than some shipping issues, I have had good luck with them.
One time, they shipped two firearms in two boxes with one tracking number. Not good but, after a little panic and some phone calls, it got worked out.

Poor Poor Fisherman

One more observation about the Palmetto State Armory store I visited. The merchandise in that store and money they were taking in must be well into 7 figures on any given day. But one thing was absolutely certain, like every gun store I have ever seen, they did not need any Security Guards!! EVERY EMPLOYEE -- both men and women -- were carrying open! That would be at least 35 employees. Plus, it was obvious that a lot of their customers were carrying concealed. And I suspect everyone of these individuals were highly proficient with the use of their weapon! There could be no safer and secure place to on earth!! LOL!

ClemsonRangers

I go through Columbia every couple months and keep telling myself I'll stop at one of the locations....yet I never do.

I've heard nothing but good things about their stores.

the one that you can see from I26, can rent a full auto thompson and go pewing in their range

JWF III

I stopped in one of their Columbia stores a couple years ago and was not terribly impressed. Nice selection, but they need to teach their staff the laws. Now this could be a company policy, just being on the extra careful side, and I do get that if that's the case... But I overheard one salesman tell a customer that they couldn't sale a rifle to anyone from out of state. Legally speaking, completely wrong. Company policy, their choice for the lost sale. Then later, while looking at uppers, I overheard another clerk say they couldn't sale uppers to anyone from out of state. I just shook my head and walked out. I figured my money from Georgia must not have been good enough for them. They still haven't gotten any of it, because of that trip.

Wyman

killerv

I got the bug for another AR and decided to go the PSA route this past January. Shipping/customer service stories were troubling but figured it was what it was and I may wait awhile. Got my completed upper in 8 days and my lower in 5. Can't complain here. Put a little sparc II red dot on it and hitting tennis balls at 50yds with the cheap stuff. Likin' it so far.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped in one of their Columbia stores a couple years ago and was not terribly impressed. Nice selection, but they need to teach their staff the laws. Now this could be a company policy, just being on the extra careful side, and I do get that if that's the case... But I overheard one salesman tell a customer that they couldn't sale a rifle to anyone from out of state. Legally speaking, completely wrong. Company policy, their choice for the lost sale. Then later, while looking at uppers, I overheard another clerk say they couldn't sale uppers to anyone from out of state. I just shook my head and walked out. I figured my money from Georgia must not have been good enough for them. They still haven't gotten any of it, because of that trip.

Wyman

I have bought a few uppers from them, and I live in NC? They never told me that.

GoldDot40

Every now and then they'll get a run of weapons at ridiculously low prices. I bought my Taurus PT111 G2 from them a couple years ago for $199. Haven't seen it anywhere else at the price ever since. To sweeten the deal, I had it shipped to a local gun store in close proximity where the transfer fee was...$10.

JohnK

When they have an online sale it's usually a good one. Gotta be quick or it'll be sold out so don't mess around.

killerv

Wyman

wierd,,, because they sure as heck charge Ga folks sales tax on online sales

Knotwild

Someone told me that the State of GA is making out of state retailers who do a certain volume of sales pay GA sales tax. I also saw on another forum that PSA also has a "registered agent" in Pooler GA for legal purposes. Therefore they have a physical presence there.

Buckhead

My experience with PSA has been positive, repeat customer. Have bought mostly AR components plus some ammo. The upper and the lower I bought were "daily specials" and were good quality. Great values. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from again.