Berry College quota hunt nov 5-8!

pnome

Looks like I got drawn for this one! :banana::banana:

Who else got drawn for Berry? Anyone wish to share some tips?

Xzuatl

Me too. :)

pnome

Well, I plan on heading up there to do some scouting this weekend! Never been there, so I need to get to know the place a bit.

Xzuatl

This will be my 3rd year and I have always camped up there at one of the primitive sites. There are quite a few hunters the show up, but Wednesday and Thursday is not so bad, so you will want to find very hard to get to places. As for where to hunt, I have no idea. I am still trying to figure the place out.

big head

Berry

Wear all the orange you can. And be careful 900 of the 1000 will be off CCC Road close to the campus. The last time I was there someone shot a spike and it ran under my buddies stand as it tried to get up they shot it again. Just be careful. I know I will never hunt it again.

bladerunner55

im in too,not my top pick but its a hunt!i need some info on the plaxe bad!hear there is some good deer up there

Appalachian J

tips for berry college

I have hunted there the past two years and had success both years. I got a 7 the first year and an 8 last year. There are plenty of deer as long as they move during the hunt. Last year was tough hunting because of the amount of hunters, the dry conditions, and the acorn crop was terrible. My advice is find a place to hunt and stay there consistently through the hunt, eventually you should see somthing. Do not expect to see a large buck on the wma because the big ones go to the campus during the hunt.

Xzuatl

As usual I will be camped out at the primitive site off of Springs road. It is on the other side of the mountain away from the CCC road and the ranger staion. I also cant get a cell phone signal there. So it is perfect. :) Anyone else camping out?

MPREEB

Berry College

I got drawn for the same dates.. I don't know much about the area but I have heard there are a bunch of deer there..

tinker141

I will be at that campsite on the backside of the Mountain again this year . Camped there last year . Alot of people hunting those woods , especially around the campus proprty .

Xzuatl

what's the weather gonna be like?

Last year it was kinda warm. Two years ago it got down to 25 degrees one morning. I am betting on a cold one this year.

huntinball1313

I am a student at Berry and hunted the WMA both quota hunts for the past 5 years(a perk of being a student here), as well as the bow seasons.

There are a ton of people here on the hunts. If you want to kill a deer your best bet is early in the hunt, and I mean the first morning or afternoon. Once the gunshots start, the deer on the WMA are so conditioned that they know exactly whats going on and go nocturnal for the majority of the hunt. I would try and find a good place that takes a long time to get to and maybe somewhere way off the beaten path.

-If you want to find a good spot come up and bowhunt and scout while you do. Some of the best hunting is right before the quota hunts and in between the hunts.

-Also, DO NOT put up any type of tape or bright eyes tacks as every Joe Smoe that shows up on the first morning will follow them in and set up in your tree and not think twice about it.

-Don't even think about going and sitting on the powerline on Little Texas Valley Rd. as that is where a TON of people hunt. It becomes a quick draw contest and not really hunting.

-Make sure you have your hunting liscense, drivers liscense, and WMA slip or you will have to get down and go get it for the game warden(and there are a TON of them). I know i dropped my WMA slip in the floor of my truck one morning and had to go all the way back right in the middle of a great morning.

-Do not leave anything hanging in a tree, people have no shame anymore.

-Wear as much blaze orange as you can!

-Don't be that guy that goes in at daylight:30 and comes out in 2 hours. It's a deer hunt, so hunt. Stay in your stand, and when you go in or leave go straight in and out.

-Stay away from the campus, it will give you the wrong ideas of what kind of deer are on the WMA itself. The deer on campus act, look, and grow differently than the rest of the population. They rut at different times, and longer, as well as they are much bigger(just antler size).

-One last thing, BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS HUNTING, BOTH THEIR AREAS, AND THEIR BELONGINGS. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

Good luck!!!

PS-The picture in my avatar is of a deer that lives on campus. He wears about 150" on his head with a flat paddle for a right G2.

Last edited:

debo

Thanks for the advice. Me and a buddy will be down for the Dec hunt. I sure would hate to lose my summit to some low life:banginghe. Does a man need to worry about his camp site when he is in the woods:huh:.

Xzuatl

Thanks for the advice. Me and a buddy will be down for the Dec hunt. I sure would hate to lose my summit to some low life:banginghe. Does a man need to worry about his camp site when he is in the woods:huh:.

I have never had a problem. But I still kept anything I didn't want stolen in my truck.