Allatoona Species

Buckaholic2000

I was sitting around talkinv the other day thinking about fishing the Etowa to shoot some buffs and drum then I realized I have never saw or heard of anyone shooting buffs or drums in Toona. Anyone have a good explanation why they are not in the lake?

castandblast

they are in lake weiss in the Coosa river system. Drum and a few other species migrate up in the summer. Small mouth buffs are native to the coosa river system, but not the etowah drainage. They can't make it up and over the dam so they stay below Allatoona. If you want more of a explanation call me.

Last edited:

markland

DUH! Done told ya that!
He's hard headed sometimes Clete! LOL

Buckaholic2000

:cheers:I like to get other poinions than your on some stuff Mark:whip: besides with the drum being a native species you would of thought a few would have been above the dam before it was built. :crazy:

castandblast

:DNope, the alligator gar that were in the lake when it was built ate all them up. The only thing left was the nasty sewer samon (common carp).;)

castandblast

Then, mark moved to cartersville, and put the gator gar on the endangered species list. Thus, leaving allatoona with it's rightful name "the dead sea",

castandblast

But seriously, they weren't upstream for what ever reason and are not there. See the first response for answere, before this thread went down hill.

markland

You don't need no stinking drum to shoot, there's plenty of carp and goldfish to shoot at already, you just need to figure out where there hiding at!
I'm just suprised nobody is shooting more goldfish, I know we did not shoot them out by any means, they use to be everywhere, but I did not see any the last time out there as well, but I was in some different areas. I need to get up there and see if I can find them again and check on my "babies" as well to see how their doing!

castandblast

Mark, Iv seen your goldfish. As far as your "babies", don't worry bout them. They are in good hands.:biggrin2: I just can't get rid of the stinking red horse suckers. Man those things had a great spawn all through out the state.

Chris, I don't think the state will stock any fish that aren't considered "game fish". Take a Friday off one day, and I'll show you how to shoot some drum. ;)

Attachments

• goldfish.jpg
    goldfish.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,202

markland

That's a Koi Clete not a goldfish!! LOL
Nice one though probably worth alot of money in Japan I imagine!
You better leave my "little ones" alone, poor defenseless little fishies!!! :(

Buckaholic2000

That's a Koi Clete not a goldfish!! LOL
Nice one though probably worth alot of money in Japan I imagine!
You better leave my "little ones" alone, poor defenseless little fishies!!! :(

Ya it was swimming pretty fast when he shot it cause I saw it and shot then was yelling shot that dang fish Clete its a gold fish (saw the orange) no chance to net it

markland

You should look up Koi on-line, it is ureal what some of those fish go for in Asia!
Oh shocker, Chris missed another fish!!! :)

markland

I maybe getting older but I still got it, I just pick and choose my moments! :)

GT Whitetail

Toona have any flatheads? Yea I know you can't shoot em in GA, but its noodling season now and Weiss is a long ride for me.

markland

Not sure about Allatoona but the river definitely does.