Their still on the move!!!

The mtn man

I have only seen one bear this year, and it was way back in bow season, but yesterday I found ALOT, of fresh bear sign since it rained, their hitting the Spanish oak acorns around 3,000ft. Tracks everywhere coming from thickets to acorns. It might be night time sign, but they ain't laid up yet.

j_seph

Do our bear in GA lay up/hibernate?

The mtn man

Do our bear in GA lay up/hibernate?

Not really, but between December and early spring, they will conserve energy by not moving, by finding a bad laurel thicket that nothing will bother them, with a food source and feed an hour, and lay up 72 hours, now that is of course not an exact assesment. But I hunted with dogs just across the ga line since childhood, and seen this every year. There are about 3 months out of the year that they just vanish. Now is normally the time. But like in said I found an unusual amount of sign for this time of year.

jbogg

Glad to hear it! Missed most of the season, but hoping to get out there another time or two before the season closes.

tree cutter 08

Yea, I'm still finding bear sign also. Made a 6 mile trip today and found fresh sign scattered along the way. I had hunted a spot last week and sow with cubs were still moving regular, between the rains.