Cooper Creek parent/child

Timberman

I will be in guide mode in the morning. Have a gap up high picked out we'll be sitting on in the am. Anybody else going?

Pics make a post better:cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 740

jbogg

I will be bowhunting on Chattahoochee WMA Friday evening. Hope you guys have a good hunt. If that is a pic of you in your avatar then I'm guessing you won't have a problem getting one out of the woods if you guys get one down.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I was planning on taking my eldest daughter, but then realized that this hunt weekend coincides with our wedding anniversary and I promised to take the wife on a trip.

I was on Coopers last weekend hoping to find some sign. Saw old bear sign and fresh deer and hog sign transitioning from pine thickets to hardwoods.

Timberman

Lord no that's not me! That was a short wooder I knew back in the day.

We're camped so high we have cell service. Good luck to everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 722

Timberman

Ran something off stumbling around in the dark. Good acorns and sign up high

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 695

Luke0927

Good luck I hunted Coopers a couple times during Turkey season, saw some marked trees and other sign.

I saw one trout fishing a few months back as well.

Side note...I like avatar pics as well, he would be a good friend to have on your side!

rivercritter

My son got his first deer two yrs. Ago on this hunt and now his first bear. Thank the Lord for a great time I've had over the yrs at coopers creek.

Attachments

• 1006171507.jpg
    1006171507.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 632

Timberman

Yessir congrats to him! Nothing for us however we did find good sign in the areas we hunted. Each time we get closer and closer to cracking the code of mountain hunting.

Luke0927

Nice can you share some details of the hunt, were you setup on acorns?

rivercritter

I always like a good hunting story I just can't stand typing one out but I'll indulge. I was no stranger to the spot me and my son where hunting. There are several spots across the management area I like to hunt but I had a lot of people unfirmilar with coopers creek coming in through out the weekend so I picked the spot where people could find us easy at camp. I checked the spot Thursday and the sign was there you mentioned acorns there are only a hand full of white oaks in the hole ruff hollar so we posted up there hoping it would be the best pinch. Thursday evening I was scouting a spot for a friend of mine I liked it so much my son and I hunted it Friday morning but I honestly felt like it was to open with all the traffic on the roads. Anyway my dad got to camp Friday evening and after we got some small talk in and firewood up me and River headed up the mtn. It was classic half way up he says dad I can't make it. Ha I told him he was gonna make!! Like it or not. So we get set down and wasn't set for 15 min. I heard something coming as he couldn't here or see anything but his video game he totes so I grabbed the game and replaced it with his 243. I caught a glimpse and told him it was a bear and to get ready it was headed right were I had hoped. When it popped out into the kill zone I hollared at it and it took about two steps behind a popular blocking it's vitals I just kept tell him shoot it in the head shoot it in the head. I have to say you don't have to talk him in to shooting he will send the lead. It wallerd in the dry branch for a while and got back on his feet stumbling and falling around the mtn so after an empty clip it finally gave up. After a short celebration I drug it off the mtn to camp where he went running to dad shouting I got a Bear! By the way after talking with my son and carefull examination he gut shot the bear with the first shot I guess with the hearing protection I put on him and excitement I asked him where he shot and he said right where you always say to shot dad I guess with the tree in the way he figured a little further back wouldn't hurt. Either way he is vacuum sealed in the freezer

Last edited:

jbogg

I always like a good hunting story I just can't stand typing one out but I'll indulge. I was no stranger to the spot me and my son where hunting. There are several spots across the management area I like to hunt but I had a lot of people unfirmilar with coopers creek coming in through out the weekend so I picked the spot where people could find us easy at camp. I checked the spot Thursday and the sign was there you mentioned acorns there are only a hand full of white oaks in the hole ruff hollar so we posted up there hoping it would be the best pinch. Thursday evening I was scouting a spot for a friend of mine I liked it so much my son and I hunted it Friday morning but I honestly felt like it was to open with all the traffic on the roads. Anyway my dad got to camp Friday evening and after we got some small talk in and firewood up me and River headed up the mtn. It was classic half way up he says dad I can't make it. Ha I told him he was gonna make!! Like it or not. So we get set down and wasn't set for 15 min. I heard something coming as he couldn't here or see anything but his video game he totes so I grabbed the game and replaced it with his 243. I caught a glimpse and told him it was a bear and to get ready it was headed right were I had hoped. When it popped out into the kill zone I hollared at it and it took about two steps behind a popular blocking it's vitals I just kept tell him shoot it in the head shoot it in the head. I have to say you don't have to talk him in to shooting he will send the lead. It wallerd in the dry branch for a while and got back on his feet stumbling and falling around the mtn so after an empty clip it finally gave up. After a short celebration I drug it off the mtn to camp where he went running to dad shouting I got a Bear! By the way after talking with my son and carefull examination he gut shot the bear with the first shot I guess with the hearing protection I put on him and excitement I asked him where he shot and he said right where you always say to shot dad I guess with the tree in the way he figured a little further back wouldn't hurt. Either way he is vacuum sealed in the freezer

Congrats to you and your son. Sounds like you have got Coopers Creek figured out. Good for you for taking the time to introduce your son to the outdoors. I would encourage you to avoid head shots. Very small kill zone and the consequences of a bad shot can be crippling, resulting in a slow death by starvation. A couple of years ago I had a couple of dogs push a doe past me with it's lower jaw hanging down, held on with nothing but skin. Until I witnessed that I had never stopped to consider the downside of a headshot. Heart/Lung area provides a much larger target, especially for a child. Congrats again on a successful hunt, and good luck the rest of the season.

oatmeal1

Congrats to you and your son. Sounds like you have got Coopers Creek figured out. Good for you for taking the time to introduce your son to the outdoors. I would encourage you to avoid head shots. Very small kill zone and the consequences of a bad shot can be crippling, resulting in a slow death by starvation. A couple of years ago I had a couple of dogs push a doe past me with it's lower jaw hanging down, held on with nothing but skin. Until I witnessed that I had never stopped to consider the downside of a headshot. Heart/Lung area provides a much larger target, especially for a child. Congrats again on a successful hunt, and good luck the rest of the season.

I was always taught growing up the opposite. A head shot is either a hit or miss since it is such a small kill zone. Less chance of wounding one. I guess there are always different ways of looking at things.

Great Story. Proud dad for sure Congrats on the hunt of a life time!!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I was always taught growing up the opposite. A head shot is either a hit or miss since it is such a small kill zone. Less chance of wounding one.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I think you were taught wrong. It's either a brain shot resulting in instant death, or it could be any number of other tragic failures. More than one deer has died an agonizing death by starvation while missing a lower jaw or the end of its nose.

oatmeal1

I don't want to derail the thread, but I think you were taught wrong. It's either a brain shot resulting in instant death, or it could be any number of other tragic failures. More than one deer has died an agonizing death by starvation while missing a lower jaw or the end of its nose.

Maybe so. Know a lot of men that have done it successfully. Never have taken one myself. Didn't mean to get the thread derailed. Once again congrats!

Killer Kyle

Or you might take a free handed head shot and miss a big ol' boar hog like....ahem.....a guy.....uuhhh...a guy I know did last turkey season. facepalm:
But he did learn his lesson. He walked up on a group of hogs on August 25th, and all he had was a head shot on a big black pig. He couldn't get steady aim on the dome, so he held off and didn't shoot.
I'm speaking of a friend, and not myself of course. I never miss.
Don't you say one word John!!!!