Soil Temps

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Here is a guide to help with soil temps of the ground.

drtslngr

so...what soil temps should I be looking for before planting our food plots. We are in Toombs county. soil temps are 95 right now. Cant seem to find a solid number on what to wait on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If you can wait till the soil temperatures are below 60 degree's that would be ideal, for fall food plots. That basically means your night time temperatures might be in the 50's. Right now, you have lots of time, unless you are looking for an "attractant" for bow season and you should likely plant a spring summer plot like soybeans, or cowpeas.

Now, Mother Nature always hedges her bets and you can plant a lot of things and get germination, but you may not get the ideal germination you want.

For clovers, a soil temperature in the 50-60 degrees F, would be ideal.

Clover germination.JPGClover germination1.JPGCelcius to F.JPG

Arrowleaf can probably be planted in even cooler soils and get good germination..
Arrowleaf germination.JPG

You can see by the column on the extreme right, some minimum soil temps, for our crops.

PH rates.JPG

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just for the record, I am planting 1/2 acre of turnips and radish this weekend and my soil temps are mid 70's, with rain in the forecast and night time temps in the mid 60's..

I am between Macon and Columbus, a little farther north than you, but I will be waiting another 3-4 weeks before planting my main plots.