outside of brick damp - HELP!

habersham hammer

What is causing this? I noticed these 2 spots on the outside of my brick on the back side of the house.
I looked under the floor and could not see any noticeable leak and the water meter is dead still. I watched it for at least 5 minutes or so and it never turned, so if there is a leak it must very slow.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 575

PappyHoel

That's an odd one. Is it possible those bricks are newer or patch? Pop one out and look behind it. I've never seen anything like that

T-N-T

They spot at the vent makes me think condensation
The other spot makes me think leak.

Oh my.... How about a hole in HVAC behind the spots....?

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Did you smell it?

PappyHoel

If you have a heat pump is your p trap full

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
That is definitely interesting.

Does your home have a crawl or basement?

Block foundation?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Typically you only see condensation from Hvac when it's warm outdoors interacting with cold supply.

Artfuldodger

"I looked under the floor and could not see any noticeable leak"

When you crawled under your house everything looked dry on the inside. Weird how it stops right at the floor level.
Could it be just something between the foundation wall and the brick wall? There isn't normally anything in that dead air space between the two.
Maybe something running in the wall leaking out instead of in, at the floor level. You'd think if this was the case it would be wet in that same area in the crawl space.

T-N-T

Neighbor got a dog?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
"I looked under the floor and could not see any noticeable leak"

When you crawled under your house everything looked dry on the inside. Weird how it stops right at the floor level.
Could it be just something between the foundation wall and the brick wall? There isn't normally anything in that dead air space between the two.
Maybe something running in the wall leaking out instead of in, at the floor level. You'd think if this was the case it would be wet in that same area in the crawl space.

I was thinking along those lines also, but seems unlikely to have 2 spaced out wet spots. Need to know what room is on that outside wall above the wet brick.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
If you had a leak that was coming through the brick like that it would be inside also. It's probably condensation. There should be some small plastic tubes near the bottom called weep holes. Push a piece of wire through them and see if any water comes out. Mud dobbers will clog them.

1gr8bldr

I think it has something to do with thawing. My brick looks like this on the north side. I noticed it today. Did a double take. But I have never seen it before

meatseeker

Condensation. Drastic change in temperature and humidity in both ground and air in the last few days. Same way a pole shed with a tin roof will drip like it’s raining sometimes. Concrete slab at dads house has been doing that for as long as I can remember

Redbow

Our house did that also when we lived in SC, I agree if you can't see any water or detect a leak in that wet area of the brick its condensation..

GA native

A male dog marking his territory is my first thought. Condensation from the temp difference is my next one.

If that little triangle on the meter doesn't move after five minutes, you can dismiss the water leak.

firebreather

Typically you only see condensation from Hvac when it's warm outdoors interacting with cold supply.

That's not really true, do you have a 90% furnace ? These will pour water out in heat mode, might check your drain line if you do

1gr8bldr

Betting it's gone now