Hog Hunting 1/31

dfasano

Went back out to Chickasawahatachee again today for the third time this week, and saw hogs for the third time this week. Took my girlfriend out to walk swamp bottoms with me today, and I took her to the same spot I killed one last weekend, and got busted by a group on Tuesday. We get a couple hundred yards down a creek bottom, no more than 30 minutes out the truck, and I spot a nice 125-150lb hog standing out about 75 yds from me in the palmetto flat off the creek bed. I pointed it out to my gf, them threw up the rifle. By the time I had the rifle up, the first hog had moved on, and 2 more had already crossed. They were moving fast. When the 4th and 5th hog stepped out, I put the crosshairs between the eyes of a 100lb solid black pig, and squeezed off. MISS. I rushed my shot, and didnt take my time. I didnt even raise the power on the scope. But, to my credit, a 75 yd off hand shot at the head of a pig looking straight at you isnt the easiest shot in the world, at least thats what i've been telling myself. We checked a few more areas out, found some promising sign, but no more piggies. As we were leaving, I put a coke bottle about 35 yds out and shot the 22mag free handed just to make sure it is still on......and put it right in the center of it, so that tells me I just need to slow down, and take a better shot next time. All hogs seen this week have been between 10A.M.-Noon.

Woodscrew

I need to get down there and check that place out.