A little local advice

LanceColeman

For those of you coming up from down south to hunt in or around chatahoochie WMA or Swallow creek for bears I would like to extend a bit of helpful advice.

You're going to be going through/around/near Helen Ga. This time of year you are getting in to "Octoberfest" when everyone else comes up to drink beer in Helen. This causes some serious traffic problems, between horse drawn buggies, vehicles, and people who can't make up their minds which side of the street they want to walk on.

For those of you coming up from the direction of 384 (Duncan bridge rd) Off 985/365 I would like to offer you an alternative route.

Take Duncan bridge (384) towards Helen likely you normally would.....

At the end of Duncan Bridge Rd. Take a left (instead of rt twd Helen). Go approximately 1 mile and take Joe Black Rd to left ( first main rd past animal shelter). Follow it to the end (approximatey 3-4 miles)- Take a rt onto Asbestos- follow to end and your on Alt 75 - Rt toward Helen (and Hwy 17)

This will bring you out on the Chatahoochie WMA/Hiawasee side of Helen. (Chatahoochie WMAs entrance will be on alt. 75 right before you cross the chatahoochie river and intersect 75 on the left) Where alt 75 meets 75 a right will bring you back in to Helen, a left will take you towards Hiawassee, unicoi gap and swallow creek.

This is common knowledge to us local boys, BUt I figured there may be some of you southern boys that would prefer NOT to sit in Helen Traffic.

It will add several miles to your trip BUT it will also save you some real major time! During ocotberfest (which actually starts Sept. 10th) Traffic can be backed up 4-5 miles outside the Helen city limits.

Break of dawn hunts you'll be OK. But if you try a Saturday evening hunt you may find yourself in Helen traffic until after Dark if you don't know any of the short cuts and bypasses.