how to hogs?

69*camaro

Hey guys,
I've been watching this site for about 6 months and want to try my hand at hogs. I intend to hunt WMA land.
How do I locate feeding areas? I understand they need water and like swamps or muck areas. Is that where they bed?

Any suggestions for firearms? It looks like most prefer a head shot to the lung area. Are most shots up close?

How do you field dress the hog? Similar to deer, what about diseases? Do you skin it right away or wait until you're ready to butcher?

I really appreciate your help!!!

Ga-Spur

Welcome to the board 69*camaro . Where are you located? We field dress the hog like you would a deer. I use latex gloves while working the hog up. I skin the male hogs but not the females. The places hogs are using will be rooted up . The hogs will be feeding on acorns now for a while unless they can find a corn field. Most shots will be fairly close within 25 yards. I have used .22 s but I don't recommend it. Use a .22 magnum if possible to the head toward the brain ; like between the eyes or thru the ear. It can get dicey shooting any hog anywhere that doesn't kill it outright. Hogs are easy to bait ; but it is against regulation to do so in Ga. Deer processors here in Elbert County also do hogs , field dressed or not field dressed.

Last edited:

69*camaro

GA-Spur,
Thanks for the information. I live in the very southern tip of Ohio near the Ohio river.

Wow, I am glad I asked about the size of the firearms. I was planning to use a really bigbore rifle for a heart/lung shot.

How sensitive are the hogs to human scent? Do you utilize all the things we do for deer?

I am really pumped about doing this, it is something I've wanted to do for several years.

Do you hunt from a treestand or will ground blinds work?

Thanks again!!!

sniper13

Weapons for hogs

;)
Not to totally disagree with Spur, but when it comes to something as big or bigger than me, Ya can't kill it too dead. I once shot a Mulefoot boar with my .44mag pistol @ 25-30yds. First shot blew both lungs up and down he went. THEN.... he got up to express his EXTREME displeasure with me. Second shot destroyed ALL of the lt. shoulder and locked up the offside shoulder. That was all for him.
The reason I hunt with a pistol is that the barrell doesn't hang up on limbs as easily as a long gun when RUNNING up trees. :rolleyes: :D

stumpman

Banned
Last year i shot a sow with a270 she laid there for about 5 minutes and got up and tried to walk off so i shot her again then about 5 minutes later she did it again i put the cross hair on her and she fell before i pilled the trigger again the other one died first shot be carefull where you shoot them you have to drag them out they dont drag as easy as a deer a 4wheeler is nice if it can get there i would use a bigger rifle my son is going this afternoon we saw one at his food plot when we went to check his camera they rooted up his plot they are legal here year round. he will use a 30.06 today.

Randy

It's real fun with a bow.

Attachments

• Randy.jpg
    Randy.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 355

Todd E

With it being your first outting for them, stick to the larger caliber rifles; 270, 30/06, etc. By all means, go for the head shot tween the eyes or just in front of the ear. After you get the feel for it, you can get brave and swap up with the way hunt. Yes, their nose is their most keen defense. Forget the stands and blinds, all the camo, etc. Put on an ol' pair of pants, find the fresh rooting, watch the wind, and ease around looking and listening for them.

Attachments

• 0804BoarHog.jpg
    0804BoarHog.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 355

69*camaro

Maybe I should break out the 458 win mag for this hunt! Can you carry a pistol and a rifle at the same time? I hunt deer with a ruger blackhawk, no scope, 45 colt in a shoulder holster.

Handgunner

If it's legal to carry more than one firearm while hunting in Ohio, then why not?

First time out, I'd carry a rifle and that .45LC... Like Sniper said, that pistol will be a whole lot easier to manage while hanging from a tree limb. :D

CRANEMAN

I TALKED TO A GUY AT A WMA ONCE WHO WHILE HE WAS IN COLLEGE HAD TO DO SOME SORT OF STUDY OUT IN THE WOODS. HE AND TWO FRIENDS WALKED UP ON A GROUP OF HOGS AND ENDED UP A TREE FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF! WHEN THE HOGS FINALLY GAVE UP AND LEFT HE SAID THAT THEY WERE SCARED TO DEATH TO COME DOWN AND RUN TO THE TRUCK. I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE PISTOL---I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG I COULD HANG IN A TREE.

:flag:

sr.corndog

How To Hogs

I use a 7.62x54r it is excellent for hogs. A 30-06 is good but the cheaper russian gun is better. Why hogs love swamps and mud with my remington 30-06 I don't want to get as dirty as my 7.62x54r. Look for trails and trees with mud from scratching and wallers where pigs gather. Watch a sow with little ones she has a mean streek if you manage to kill her sit the little ones will come back to her.
Shot behind the ear is my choice spot the shield on ther back is a couple inches thick so small bore rifles arn't as good. :flag:

69*camaro

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I will post the results of my first hunt when I am done.

One last question, what effect do the seasons and weather have on the hogs?

Todd E

When there are no hunting seasons in, the hogs are frequently active. When the hunting turns on, woods activity, shooting, etc., the hogs go nocturnal. As for weather and the seasons of the year...........I haven't noticed too much difference. Whens it's real cold, I've seen hog(not boars) stay in groups on sunny ridges for warmth. Different seasons bring about different food availiability and food will dictate their roaming locations.

Do show them respect, but don't be deathly afraid of them. A cornered or wounded one will git at ya' as well as a sow with pigs. If you've ever watched bull riding and seen bulls go at a rider, a hog will do about the same thing. Run at ya' stiff legged and stiff necked and throw its head at ya'. That's when you have to watch thoses cutters being hooked at you from a boar.

I experienced that first hand with this boar. He broke from 6 dogs and was right on me in no time. I had no trees to swing up. I just watched him, timed it, and sidestepped him like a rodeo clown.

Attachments

• Hog Doggin'.jpg
    Hog Doggin'.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited: