age to start a dog?

zacherwalker

I know starting a dog as a puppy for anything is the best option but I am just now getting into hog hunting and have never hunted with dogs before but I was wondering if any of you have ever heard or started a dog thats 1.5 years old or older?

I have a pure pit with tons of drive and an excellent nose and and weighs about 55lbs thats 1.5 years old and was thinking about trying to train her to get her on her first hogs. Ive had her since she was a puppy and she knows obedience commands and has came squirrel hunting with me before and also retrieves doves for me without any real bird training

The other question I have is one dog enough...obviously with bigger hogs it might be harder with just one dog but every time I see someone hunting with hogs they usually have 3 but always have at least 2...does that matter or can you hunt with just 1 if I did train her

coolerman

Bulldogs can be started at any age . Ive started them as old as 5. Its due in large to the bulldogs have a higher prey drive than most dogs really all you have to do is show them a hog and get them excited and usually nature takes over . Now that bein said you have to ask yourself about range , most bulldogs are gonna be short to medium range depends on the dog , but if she will catch in a pen she will catch one if she runs up on one in the woods . Nose is gonna depend on her . Can you catch hogs with just 1 dog ...the answer is yes but those dogs are few and far between and usually dont live long reason bein bulldogs if they are cut or if its a big hog dont have enough sense to wait on help and will go till they die , If you leave a dog and a boar hog together the hog will win eventually . I had a dog that I caught alot of big hogs with but he would stand back and bay till I got there or we turned a bulldog loose if he couldnt hold it long by hisself . A bulldog usually aint gonna stand back and bay they gonna catch till they fall over

zacherwalker

Thanks for the advice..i wish i could find someones dogs i could run her with and see how she did then get a pup if we both enjoyed it

zacherwalker

thanks for the offers guys! but I pm'd both of y'all back and once again thanks all for the advice greatly appreciated. I know the question was probably asked on here before but I couldn't find exactly the answers I was looking for anywhere and y'all had no problem answering them

Latest posts