Broken Leg Anyone???

Washington95

Did an earlier post on scooter you can use with broken leg, but this is what happened, and a question on follow up.

Took my 9 yo grandson squirrel hunting 4-5 wks ago. Walking in sough along river (before all the rain, but slough still had a little water in it) I took a step and my left left foot slipped out from under me. Landed right on that foot. 225 lbs worth. Didn't hurt too much, but called grandson back (he was 40-50 ft ahead of me), and told him I wasn't sure I could get up. With his help I did, and he was my crutch back to my truck, maybe 1/4 mile. Again, not terrible pain. But I should have put him on side where bad foot was, so I actually walked on that (later discovered both bones broken above ankle) leg all way to truck?!?! Stupid, huh?

At the time of course didn't know extent of injury, and hoped sprain or something. Felt a little something when I fell but-----?

Went to local ER, both bones broken just above ankle. Fairly clean breaks, bones in alignment, no compound fracture, etc.

This was on a Friday. They (from ER) called an orthopaedic surgeon (that Friday was a holiday) who told me to call for an appointment the following Tues or Wed.
No one but me in hurry to get this over with.

Hoped for cast, etc., etc., but not to be. Wanted to put screws in one bone and a plate on the other.

Did that 7-10 days later. Again, I'm the only one wanting to get this over with.

Two weeks later stitches out. Hard cast put on for six (SIX!!!) more weeks.

Cast to be removed Mar 27.

My question for anyone who might know is what is next?
Someone said a "boot"? Depends on x-ray I think, and could be cast for another week or two, but hopefully not.

Will I be able to put weight on it after cast removed?

Your experience? (Hopefully a good one)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No experience here, but would not the Dr's office have these answers?

Inthegarge

Depends....Usually have Physical Therapy to strengthen ankle/leg and get everything back in place....Don't get in a hurry, if you mess it up before it's completely healed it could cause permanent problems...Don't ask me how i know !!!

trial&error

broke my ankle christmas before last. took a week to operate lots of screws and several plates. then hard cast for 6 weeks then a month with the walker before they let me start putting weight on it slowly. another few weeks with the walker then graduated to a cane for as long as I felt I needed it. About 4 months to freedom, but being a joint injury took almost a year for full recovery. Still can't jog or feel sure footed without boots laced up.

It seems like forever, but hopefully you'll have that leg for the rest of your life and if you follow the dr's instruction you may be limp free.

doates

Rehab and splint. Rehab is important but they will try to keep you doing it forever.