g? on shoting a bear.

Killer Kyle

If a bear has cubs, chances they are probably with her. For the most part, they need to he around her for the first year. As for size, I like to think in terms of a dog. If it looks like a really big dog like a Rottweiler, I am going to shoot it. Anything less than 100 lbs.....it gets hard for me to judge. Could be 90, could be 75. If in doubt, I'd err on the side of caution.

bowbuck

If possible watch the bear for a couple of minutes before shooting it. In my experience the cubs are often several seconds behind momma if she is moving. Last year on opening day of deer season, I was eating lunch and heard something coming through the gap I was hunting. I got my gun up and on a 225 ish pound bear. As I was taking the slack out of the trigger, I saw the two 30 pd fuzz balls coming in the gap. They had probably been jumped by another hunter on his way out and were moving fast. Another 10'seconds and she would have been dead.

As for size. I to use the dog size. If its bigger than the lab (85 pds) I will shoot it.

Dana Young

First you have to check her for milk and then you have to weigh her. then if she doesn't have milk and weighs over 75 pounds you can shoot her.:biggrin2:

T-N-T

First you have to check her for milk and then you have to weigh her. then if she doesn't have milk and weighs over 75 pounds you can shoot her.:biggrin2:

This seems to be the only logical thing. I would think that carrying a digital scale in you pack would be the easiest.

Killer Kyle

Dana...you ever tried to milk a live bear? Not pretty. Its an ugly ordeal.
:)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Now, where's that Eskimo woman with a moustache that I'm supposed to kill with a pocketknife? :bounce:

Killer Kyle

Now, where's that Eskimo woman with a moustache that I'm supposed to kill with a pocketknife? :bounce:

NCHillbilly, sounds like you need to lay off all those "edible" mountain fungi you've been stirrin' up with your fiddlehead ferns. I have no idea what you're talking about! Hahahaha :bounce:

dgmeadows

Be careful with the dog comparison. I shot my first bear last year. He came down a ridge toward me, and I judged him to be bigger than our larger lab - over 100#. First bear I ever saw in the woods. I was bow hunting and he came within 20 yards. I knew he wasn't a monster, but fully expected about 125#. He went right at 80#. Legal, but barely. The officer at the check station was very cordial and did not give me any grief about the size, but when I asked, he pointed out the wiry fur will make a bear look bigger than they are. He recommended looking closely at the head - should be round, not slender, and the ears should appear small in relation to the head and spread apart, like at 10 & 2 o'clock, not pointing up and pointy or floppy like a dog' ears.

I will be keeping this in mind as I go and try to find Yogi. I already killed Boo Boo.

Dana Young

Please post video of you checking sow for milk, thanks!

All you have to do is scratch them on the back and they will rool over for you to milk them

Killer Kyle

Please post video of you checking sow for milk, thanks!

All you have to do is scratch them on the back and they will rool over for you to milk them

I'm gonna give it a shot, Dana, but if I walk away with an ER bill, I'll expect you forum boys to pitch in and help a little! Or help my momma with the funeral expenses! Whichever comes first! ::ke:

Etoncathunter

Well if you film the event, I'll volunteer my time to promote and sell it. All proceeds can got to your medical bills........ or estate.

Marlin_444

Poke her with a stick after tracking down a creek bottom...

Marlin_444

More like a WALLOPED with a Tree...

Memories... We will like them!!!