Not a big 1 but a bear none the less

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 533

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not a littlun by any means either. A lot of good eating, too-congrats! Any bear is hard earned.

Last edited:

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Thanks I am very proud still have the ear to ear smile. She is at the taxidermist now

And yes good eats. I threw a back strap on the grill that night and shared with the guys at camp all never had bear now they are fans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I always laugh at people who say bear meat isn't good when they've never tried it, or just had it cooked some weird way that would ruin a filet mignon. Bear is good stuff.

Killer Kyle

What's the story on the bear?! Food? Elevation? Shot? Tracking? Great bear man! MAN I wish I had a freezer full of bear bbq right now! I'm still working on that!!! Congrats buddy!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

T-N-T

Way to go!!

bigelow

Executive Chef at Billy's Bistro
Ok here is the story. Got in the stand a little late around 4 ate too much for lunch. So im in the stand messing around with my phone on and off texting another huntin bud. An hour goes by I am looking side to Side and I see a puff of steam. I could not tell what it came from. My stand is on the side of a fairly steep hill in some pines about 1000ft Above sea level. So the bear ( thought it was a hog at first) is coming straight up the hill just to the left of me. I get the cross hairs on it loose it be hind a pine. This goes on for a few trees finally I see the sweet spot and fire my 30.06. About 30 40 yrds. Bear stands straight up and falls over backwards. Tumbles down the hill and caught a pine tree. Thank god I did not want to retrieve it from the bottom. So at this point im shaking so bad from the adrenaline I dont dare try to climb down yet. Finally after a few deep breaths I call my wife to tell her. Then I get down call another club member for some help. But I'm pumped so I pull my mule into the woods as far as I can. 40 yrds up hill from the bear. So I go down poke it with my rifle dead ok we are good grab the hind paw and start dragging. Now I must still have the adrenaline running through me because it was easier than expected. I get to the mule tie it off to the hich and drag to the road and winch it in to the back. I am feeling it in my legs back arms everywhere today.

Everyone asked how far did it run after I shot Like everything else I have shot with that gun. It didn't.

Last edited:

Judge

Congrats! Great story. Hoping to get my first this weekend at Chestatee.

Marlin_444

Welcome to the club! That's a nice Bear, get back out and get the other one...

bany

congrats