The Toog DH

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!
The DH is fishing really well right now. Black Hares Ear, Zebras, Zug Bug and squirmy worms were all working. Water is clear and flow is nice. Could still use a bit more rain tho. Enjoy the pics. I was lucky enuff to get a Bow, Brown and Brook out of the same run. Very little top water action and I couldn't figure out what they were eating.

Goat

GONetwork Member and TU member!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 605

Georgia Hard Hunter

I see less surface activity on the Chattogga than any river I fish. I been up there in the winter and seen small early black stones with no activity, Ive been in the spring and seen Hendricksons with little to no surface activity, I've seen some totally brown mayfly with little to no surface activity, same for the Quill Gordons and Lt Cahills. When I say little to no surface activity, yes there are ramdom rises but nothing sustained and that you can time like on other rivers and have success dropping a dry fly over them. I do have good success with nymphs and soft hackles, or the fall back woolly bugger. Maybe I'm not there at the right times but its happened enough that it has jaded my opnion of the Chattogga. The area I has experienced this in from Bruells Ford down to Big Bend Falls. Has anybody else had these type experiences on the Chattogga.

Anvil Head

Haven't been in quite a few years, but sounds like you just aren't hitting the river at the right time. Used to backpack up stream of Brls Ford spring summer and fall and seemed to find a good hatch of some kind all the way up until too cold. Of course things change, used to be a very small goat trail back then, until they built the campground. Now 4 lane highway both directions like the App Trail. and trash everywhere...broke my heart. It's a beautiful river with lots of quality fish, more about timing.

Georgia Hard Hunter

Haven't been in quite a few years, but sounds like you just aren't hitting the river at the right time. Used to backpack up stream of Brls Ford spring summer and fall and seemed to find a good hatch of some kind all the way up until too cold. Of course things change, used to be a very small goat trail back then, until they built the campground. Now 4 lane highway both directions like the App Trail. and trash everywhere...broke my heart. It's a beautiful river with lots of quality fish, more about timing.

Maybe so, or I'm not holding my mouth right...LOL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that brookie has some nice color, he's been in there awhile. He isn't the usual dough-belly DH fodder.