Question about moon and tides

JerseyJim

A question for you tide experts out there.
I notice that Dec 3 full moon is referred to as a "super moon". I haven't seen the charts yet, but does a super moon cause extra high and low tides like a spring tide?

I've got vacation to use or lose so i'm trying to do some planning. I'd like to hit the flooded flats for reds in my kayak.

Thanks
Jim

GeorgiaBob

Yes - - - and No. The "Super Moon" descriptions used recently refer to a full moon when the moon is closer to earth (and therefore appears larger). Because these moons are closer, they do have more impact on tides. But the December 2017 impact will be mitigated somewhat by the less than ideal alignment of moon and Sun.

You should get a few minutes of high water, a couple of inches over normal high tides. Don't count on having much time.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Wind direction can turn a 7.3' tide into a 9' tide if it's strongly blowing from the NE. Conversely, a west wind can turn a 9' tide into a 7.3' tide if the wind is strong enough. This applies to the Savannah area. On Dec. 3rd wind direction can have an impact on the height. Gil

Scallen2112

High tidal coefficient on Dec 3

If you want flooded flats, at least in the Brunswick area, then Dec. 3 may indeed be your day. The tidal coefficient for Dec. 3 is going to be 105, which is very high. The water will be well up in the grass, but the current in the moving tide will also be high. Here is a good link for tides in this area: http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/georgia/stsimons-island#_tide_table

To understand more about tides, try this. It even has a link to a discussion on the super-moon's effect on tides: http://earthsky.org/earth/tides-and-the-pull-of-the-moon-and-sun

Water temp down here today was 62.5 to 63 degrees back in the river. By December it will be even colder. A good tactic in colder water is look for dark mud flats that are exposed in the sun on low tide and them fish them on high tide. They soak up some heat and the baitfish and reds will move up on them.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
GLS is right,
Super full moon high tide with a moderate north east or east wind can flood everything and bring it in early and keep it in late.
However a strong winter west wind can do the reverse to some degree