Honda Rancher 420 vs Kodiak 450

kingdawg

Don't know anything about the new yammies but I can vouch for the reliability of a 2000 Kodiak 400....Its been and still is a good one. I would definitely buy another Yamaha.

transfixer

I've owned Hondas and Yamahas, my Dad always had a Honda, I currently own a 99 Yamaha Big bear, never fails to start, still runs like a top, its a manual though, I've owned one Yamaha that was an Automatic, couldn't stand it, with the automatics you always sound like you're going faster than you are, especially starting off. As the years go by you will have trouble out of the belt, its just a matter of when.

Personally I'd go with the Honda, especially if its a manual, it might not have all the bells and whistles, but I believe in the long run it will be more dependable.

jbird1

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 450 EPS here....fits in the truck w the tailgate up, threads the needle pulling deer out of thick timber, zero trouble. 2014 was last year of the Grizzly 450 and was similarly priced/qaulity as the big bore machines, just a smaller machine. The 2018 Kodiak is a similar machine to the old Grizz, but not quite the same quality/specs... imo. The '18 Kodiak was designed to compete with the economy mid-size machines like the Polaris 570.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
My '06 Honda Foreman 500 ES 4X4 is worth as much now as what I paid for it new, if not more.
ES also comes with a manual shift lever that can be put on in a bind. It's in the on-board tool kit.
Check value retention. it will tell you a lot about the machine.

Patriot44

Banned
Honda all day long. I have a 2000 Forman and I have not taken care of it. I have literally sunk it in a lake, buried it in swamps and kaolin, mines flipped it backwards down a hillx50 and much, much more. It has dragged many a tree out for sawing on and splitting and have hauled more deer on it than I can remember and plowed many, many, many small food plots. I have done little more than change the oil.

17 years old and going strong.

JohnK

I shift my honda 420 to 4wd on the fly all the time...10 years old and still runs good.

Last edited:

The mtn man

I have a 2011 rancher 420 4x4 with manual shift, and power steering. The power steering is the stuff. Another thing to consider is resale value, honda is going to hold value more than other brands.