Howa barreled action

mmcneil

Anyone ever order one of there barreled actions? I've been considering buying one in a varmint caliber. Just curious on how the accuracy was. They advertise the action and barrel are both squared to each other. With reloading I can get almost any rifle to shoot sub moa but I would like to think with one of these I could do much better. Just looking for any comments on the set up. It's a cheap way to get a semi custom build.

furtaker

I've never ordered a barreled action but I did order a standard 1500 earlier this year and it is likely the most accurate rifle I own. Howa has an accuracy guarantee now and the new 2 stage triggers are a vast improvement over their old triggers. Mine is chambered in 6.5x55 SE.

Jester896

Senior Clown
They advertise the action and barrel are both squared to each other.

you would think that all of them are made like this... :D

that is a good start...but... I think barrel lapping has a good bit to do with it in conjunction with a trued action. I mean squared bolt face, squared receiver lugs, lapped lugs, centered barrel threads, square action face, and lastly recoil lug...the last part of the equation is the barrel. You could always lap the barrel yourself.

I would also consider what stock and bottom metal was available and was it what I wanted before going all in.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I know at one time they were building the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. I have shot the vanguard moa and it is super sweet and accurate.

Depending on which caliber you're wanting, I saw some LOW prices on complete rifles (Hogue Overmolded stocks with floorplate) today on line. I'm talking like $380 delivered with 22" barrels. If I didn't have a gift rifle ahead next month to buy, I'd have grabbed one today for a varmint rig myself.

The very same company that makes the Weatherby Vanguard, and Wby has a sub-mos guarantee. I’ve never heard anything negative on Howa, I’ve got 4 Vanguards, they are reliable, accurate and worth every penny. I’m a person that shoots for MOD ( minute of deer) so, the sub moa really doesn’t mean much. If you get one, don’t forget to get good quality mounts ( my Vanguards have DNZ Gamereaper mounts) 2 have Nikon scopes, 2 have Zeiss, if you reload, check into the Weatherby’s, I’ve got a .240 and a .257 Wby, they are rockets, I took a deer this year with the .240 at about 80 yards, hit right behind the shoulder and just crumpled, hit the heart and the spray from the exit went in about a 4 foot arc 3 foot high on the trees, little hole in, little hole out. But, Howa isn’t bad either, PM me if you want to know about a Vanguard in .270 Win and I’ll give you a glowing review

Zgoossens

I ordered a 223 Howa barreled action from PT&G a while ago, but haven't put it into a stock yet. Impressions so far are very good, but that is without firing a shot. The quality seems excellent and I feel like I got a great deal since I got it on sale for around $250. I'm planning on glass bedding it into a Boyd's stock and having myself a cheap, but accurate rifle.

They still have them, but it appears only the lightweight barrels are still in stock. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/701-howa-weatherby-nosler-type-actions