Carrying in a commercial vehicle?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I too was taught when taking a class for my CDL that it was illegal. Interesting.

DYI hunting

That letter's way better than the one I posted the link to above:D

D'oh! :rolleyes:

I wonder why CDL instructors seem (as least mine) to stress the point weapons are illegal in commercial vehicles? I it kinda irritating but I guess it is no different than police being taught the wrong things in school about carry laws.:banginghe

1devildog

D'oh! :rolleyes:

I wonder why CDL instructors seem (as least mine) to stress the point weapons are illegal in commercial vehicles? I it kinda irritating but I guess it is no different than police being taught the wrong things in school about carry laws.:banginghe

One word covers it!, IGNORANCE!!!!!!!

jamesw245

My life my gun my right to carry. I will deal with it if I get caught. I can see if you deliver to a base or something or if your boss objects but my truck is more apt to put me in harms way than my car. We haul to some bad areas. If you carry proper no one knows.

N

NGxplr22

As I promised here is the response I got from the DOT:

Dear DOT Customer,

Carrying concealed weapons is a matter of state law. Your question can best be answered by the appropriate state government. Links to state government web sites are available on: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/webstate.htm

Sincerely,
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
U.S. Department of Transportation
Reference Services
National Transportation Library
Bureau of Transportation Statistics

Mark R

I carry for protection , but I need to know about those fine print laws so I can protect myself from the law in case I have to use my gun . This 4 inch thick law book keeps referencing different codes and sections . My head hurts . So far it looks like its up to the state but so many people telling me its illegal in commercial vehicle .

wareagle700

I carry for protection , but I need to know about those fine print laws so I can protect myself from the law in case I have to use my gun . This 4 inch thick law book keeps referencing different codes and sections . My head hurts . So far it looks like its up to the state but so many people telling me its illegal in commercial vehicle .

The laws are plainly stated and its not hard to look them up. It's perfectly legal to carry in a commercial vehicle as long as there are no circumstances prohibiting it. If your employer says no, that's between you and them. But, you will not be ticketed or arrested just for carrying a firearm while driving a work truck in general.

GunnSmokeer

Legal

Commercial motor vehicles are not off limits by any federal law.

But, some states may have their own laws against it.

Certainly your employer can have a rule or company policy against carrying guns. You can be fired for violating that.

As a practical matter, unless you’re on a dedicated route with the same shippers and receivers every trip, how could you work as a trucker while armed when you never know when you’ll be dispatched to a commercial airport, a prison, a college, or some other gun-free zone.

groundhawg

Due to the controversial topic: “Can CDL Truck Drivers Carry Guns?”, I have researched and found a Federal Law that so many drivers are looking for. Read what an actual Federal Law states about this topic, to put it to rest, once and for all. ( or maybe not)

Provided by Truth About Trucking.

Can a CDL truck driver legally carry a gun in the truck? This is a very HOT topic! In my previous article, “CDL Truck Drivers Carrying Guns,” much controversy was created because nothing could be found anywhere showing any Federal Law stating that it was illegal to carry. I have pointed out that there is NO Federal Law saying that it is illegal, only city, county and state laws that make it illegal to do so, as well as policies set forth by the motor carrier. I have found the actual Federal Law revealing the insight on this subject, listed below:

Title 18 Setcion 926(a). The peacable journey law.

TITLE 18–CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I–CRIMES

CHAPTER 44–FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
container other than the glove compartment or console.

OK…now that we have the Federal Law on this matter, what does it mean? I would say that you could give this to 50 attorneys, and all 50 would interpret it differently! I believe what it is saying, is a CDL driver may carry a gun in the truck with him or her, PROVIDING that it does not violate any other STATE law, in which the driver will be passing through. Thus city, county, state laws, and company policy may be the prevention for CDL truck drivers to carry guns…