Otter Trapping

I never trapped an otter but I have located a few while deer hunting.

Any advice on catching one besides the obvious youtube tutorials?

I have trapped a lot in the past. But I have never trapped otters.

Can anyone share a good set?

Would their fur be in good shape by the opener or should I wait until a little later?

sportsman94

For otters, the name of the game is quantity. You need to have blind sets on every run and crossover you can find. You can set big flashy dirt holes on the toilets when you find them. They will sometimes take several weeks to pass back through an area. Good luck!

Trapper Glatzer

Mallard,
If you are not in a hurry, wait till Jan, when the fur is really prime. Look around beaver ponds and look for slides where otters and beavers are going in and out of the pond. You can use a 330 on these slides. Remember that the pond will have to have crayfish and fish in it to keep the otters coming back. You can also set along the edge of running creeks in a hole set using a coil spring trap but you may snag the local coon or if you are lucky, a mink.
Good Luck

I ordered some 280's yesterday.

I'm going to take my time and get them boiled and dyed and be comfortable setting them. I got some rebar I am going to make some stands too.. Then I will set them a bit later after deer season has cooled down. I just hope that someone else doesn't get to the otters before I have a chance at them. Highly unlikely since its in the middle of nowhere.
I read that using mink gland works well. Could a person make a slide on the bank and make a little dirt hole at the top of the slide and put the mink lure in the slide to attract them then put the trap half way up the bank or keep it submerged at the bottom of the slide??

Philbow

IMHO you will also need a body grip trap setter. I really like the RTS one hander but the scissors will work OK.
http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/rtsbodygripsetter.aspx

( I once spent 30 minutes trying to get my foot out of a 330 with only one spring released. And that was in my backyard with a loose trap.)

JonathonJEB

For otter I like blind 280s. Like said above put out a lot of traps and give it time. You will probably have to get the beavers out of the way. I have caught them the first week to the last week and the fur was excellent on them all. From my experience Georgia otters are as good if not better than any other otters. I always put mine up and send them to moyles for tanning when the prices are low. Good Luck

Got me a bunch of 280's. Welded me up some stands. I'm going to give it heck tomorrow night over the weekend.

I'll post a picture if I nab one.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Good luck. Can't wait to see picks. When I was trapping regular I caught my first otter in a dirthole set for coon in a creek bank. The second one was in a #330 set for beaver on a slide. He got most of the way through it and was still alive when I got to him. He pulled the stake but I had it wired to a small tree on the bank as a secondary anchor. He was 4' long nose to tail,almost black with his teeth wore down. That was one old otter

mr otter

Instead of using only body grip style traps, look into buying some MB750’s and attaching them onto drowning rods where the otters are climbing out of the water.