Cold temps and gun problems

jmoser

Probably not an issue for you 'peach staters' but up here in MI we sometimes hunt in the cold.

Sighting in my Browning pump last weekend; first 5 shots went fine but after a target change and some downtime I couldn't fire a shot. Just a faint 'click' and no hammer drop. Tried many times with loaded and empty chamber; cycled action; etc etc. Temps were probably high teens; 20 F max.

Figured it froze up; sure enough after coming indoors it quickly functioned again [dry fire.]

Sooo - pulled the trigger group out [like an 870; complete fire control assembly pops right out] and put in a baggie in the freezer for an hour.

Was able to reproduce the failure; there is a disconnector linkage on right side coupled to the slide release lever. Believe some old factory grease was the culprit; froze stiff and kept the link from resetting fully after cycling the pump.

Total disassembly is a PITA so I flushed it with solvent and slid a paper slip in the gap to wipe out what I could. Couple drops of synthetic lube and back in the receiver.

Going to leave the assembled rifle in the shed for a couple hours tonite and see if it happens again; now at least I know I can pull the lever back by hand if it happens again.

In any case if you ever plan a trip in the cold be sure to test your guns first - funny things happen.

ryanh487

Factory grease is meant to prevent rust in storage, not lubricate function. Always strip and clean a new gun and lube it with something like CLP before using.

jmoser

Factory grease is meant to prevent rust in storage, not lubricate function.

Not always true - there are places where grease is an appropriate lube. And a detail strip of some Browning rifle actions is not for the faint of heart.

But wherever possible I do prefer to strip and lube with my own favorites.

This BPR is 18+ years old so conventional base greases will start to change their behavior. Hoping to take it to TX next month where sub freezing temps should not be a concern.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
In cold weather, oil/grease is an enemy to firearms. Most people don't realize just how little oil is needed to keep your firearms protected and working smoothy. I've seen people squeeze a shot of Rem oil in every orifice and on every moving part. Oil collects dust and powder residue and builds into a thick gum. Thick oil is much more likely to freeze up than a thin film.

We used to shoot a lot of competitive handgun events in cold weather. Especially in rimfires, you could always tell who used too much oil. Their guns were constantly jamming. You know if you have to hold your gun next to a space heater just to keep it working, you've overdone it on the oil.

Jester896

Senior Clown
back of the bolt lugs and where they ride the raceway is about all that I grease...I might wipe with oil in the barrel for storage.

I think his situation is different. might should have changed to a good synthetic a while back :)
glad to see you got it worked out.

Last edited:

Yotedawg

back of the bolt lugs and where the ride the raceway is about all that I grease...I might wipe with oil in the barrel for storage.

I think his situation is different. might should have changed to a good synthetic a while back :)
glad to see you got it worked out.

^^^^^^This....locking lugs and raceways. Lest you gall the lugs.