Have you ever thought about Hunting Africa?

HunterJoe24

Man, my dream is to kill the whole big 5 and everything else there. But if I had to pick one it would be hard to choose between kudu, mountain nyala, cape, hippo, and leopard. I've heard the mountain nyala is supposed to be one of the hardest hunts in the world which is the draw to me and the hippo kills more people in Africa than any other animal. Watching Jim Shockey kill a hippo at 5 yds charging him makes me want to go do it, I guess I'm a little nuts

Big7

The Oracle
Ya'll got me wrong.

I never said you should not hunt Africa, if you have the money.
I would like to go myself. Fair chase.

When I spend that much money (and it's on the list)
would be Alaska. Just a personal preference.

Nothing wrong with hiring a guide to help you out.

What I don't like and think unethical is a "canned" "hunt".
To me, that is not hunting.

I am as always squarely in the "if it's legal" camp.

No game in that. Might as well shoot a bull in a farmer's pasture.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
NCHillbilly,
If you crave fresh meat cooked over the fire you need to add Eland steaks to your list.
Lots of people agree there the best tasting antelope in Africa.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCHillbilly,
If you crave fresh meat cooked over the fire you need to add Eland steaks to your list.
Lots of people agree there the best tasting antelope in Africa.

Plenty of meat on one, too. :)

From what I remember, Capstick said hippo tenderloin was one of the best, too.

I'd love to get there sometime just to see the place. I have a shelf full of the old books about African hunting by Hemingway, Roosevelt, Bell, Capstick, Rourk, Patterson, Baker, Selous, and many others. I have always enjoyed reading and re-reading them. And I have all Fred bear's old African bowhunting movies.

The only sad thing is that I doubt if the safari as all those guys wrote about is still in existence. Most of the African hunting shows on tv show some dude sitting in a mud hut shooting critters that show up at the waterhole outside the window. Not interested in that.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
See if you can find "Trophy" on YouTube.

Seen it on cnn (that I never watch) night or so ago.
Pretty sure it was NOT a cnn production because it
represented ALL sides

That will change your mind about "canned" hunts.

Just sayin'.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:LOL at you for thinking anything on CNN represents ALL sides.

An African archery hunt is definitely on my bucket list. But more and more, I see archery hunts in Africa hunting over a watering hole from a blind. If I couldn't try to stalk my quarry, it would take a lot away from my dream.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
This thread proves the old saying that sometimes the best response is to keep your mouth shut is true.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Africa (cape buffalo and plains game) is my number 1 dream hunt...but unfortunately my family and mortgage takes precedent over dreams.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Africa (cape buffalo and plains game) is my number 1 dream hunt...but unfortunately my family and mortgage takes precedent over dreams.

I want to shoot a wildebeest and a warthog. And some kind of ring horned antelope

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I want to shoot a wildebeest and a warthog. And some kind of ring horned antelope

I would definitely shoot one of these things if it came at me. Repeatedly.

Attachments

• national-geographic-documentary-17.jpg
    national-geographic-documentary-17.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 247

Big7

The Oracle
:rofl::rofl::rofl:LOL at you for thinking anything on CNN represents ALL sides.

Back on up and look where I pointed out I did not think it was a cnn production.

I watched it. Did you? :huh:
Uh.. No.

Had hunter's poacher's, farmer's, goober*ment,
biologist's.. Prolly a few more.

How many sides do you need?

Phillip Thurmond

The game we ate was fantastic. Every night a different game and food. It was some of the best I've ever put into my mouth and ate some things I never dreamed I would.
You can't bring back any meat but while there eat all you want. All the meat was donated.
So far I've killed 2 Kudu, Zebra, Blue wildabeast, 3 Impala, Blesbok, Nyala, gemsbok, Sable, Eland, bushbuck. Could have shot much more but just did not. Other guys that have gone with me have shot Cape buffalo, All the above and some others that I can't even remember.
Warthog are everywhere but just never wanted one of those. Lots of other game
As for eating the Eland was excellent as was the cape buffalo!
One of my favorite things to do was to lay on my back at night an just look at the stars! There are millions there and you can really see them. The milky way was amazing as well. Such beauty is hard to describe.

BeerThirty

Good share, I'm sure a lot of hunters benefited from this post.

Me personally, I'd like to hunt everything in the good ol' US of A before I hunt out of the country.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That sable is unbelievable.

red neck richie

I think about hunting Africa often. I just cant afford to do it right now. Maybe in the future after I get done paying for college. But then there will probably be a wedding or something else I will have to pay for. Definitely on my bucket list would be a kudu, gemsbok, and impala. I wouldn't pass on a wildebeest or warthog either.

Hunting Africa

Here is the Springbok my son took when we were in South Africa. Spot and stalked with the guide while I watched through the bino's. 140 yards, .243Win, one shot, no fences... Everyone at the outfit we hunted with were great with kids, they understand that they are creating friends (and customers) for life. They enjoyed having him so much they use him in their ads.

There isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't refer back to that trip.

Attachments

• tollies ad.jpg
    tollies ad.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 195

jerry russell

My son and I hunted Namibia several years ago and he loved it. A couple years ago he returned and spent several weeks there with the family we hunt with. A pretty cool gig for a 16 year old, lol. We LOVE hunting that wild place.

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3082.JPG
    IMG_3082.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG