Zeiss Swarovski or?

jfish

Searching for most clear best at very low light scope being sold. I have some Zeiss on couple of guns now. Without looking maybe a conquest line. ($600ish was in box got them in a trade).

Now have Nightforce Atacr 4-16-42. Great scope. Not as good low light as Swarovski or Zeiss that I have compared. While the models I compared are 3-5yr old. It’s also heavy as heck. 30oz. Mounts and rail add more. On custom built 700 action 308 carbon fiber stock 3B Bartlein barrel.

Was told Leupold vx6 was very good.

Asking for opinions.

Searching for most clear best at very low light scope being sold. I have some Zeiss on couple of guns now. Without looking maybe a conquest line. ($600ish was in box got them in a trade).

Now have Nightforce Atacr 4-16-42. Great scope. Not as good low light as Swarovski or Zeiss that I have compared. While the models I compared are 3-5yr old. It’s also heavy as heck. 30oz. Mounts and rail add more. On custom built 700 action 308 carbon fiber stock 3B Bartlein barrel.

Was told Leupold vx6 was very good.

Asking for opinions.

I'd suggest that you also look at scopes with illuminated reticles if you're truly wanting the very best low light capabilities. I have owned four Zeiss conquests (still have two) and have sold two of them to purchase Leupold VX-Rs. The first thing you lose in low light is normally not the "target", but rather the crosshairs when placed on the target.

As satisfied as I am with the low light performance with the VX-R (I now own 5 of them), the VX6 should(?) be nicer. I know for sure though, I'd prefer a VX-R to a VX6 without an IR.

You didn't mention what magnification range you're wanting, but I recently saw a nice Zeiss Duralyt with IR for a very good price used (765), but still NIB. I think it was a 1.2-5x36 30mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

rospaw

Went out last year to Riverbend with buddy that eats, sleeps firearms. (NONE of his 100's of guns are safe queens)
This was his 6th time testing some of his scopes for low light/overcast ect. About 20 or so scopes set on a "scope rail" he made. Set at a 100, 300 and 600 yrds with custom targets for his testing. I would guess 40k plus worth of scopes. His eyes said Leica, Smidtibender and nightforce were the three top out of his scopes. After looking at his data he said Leica magnus was his best low light scope.
Most all of them looked great to me. :huh:

p.s His trade/work has nothing to do with firearms but has been his "hobby" for over 30yrs.

Reactions: Dub

wareagle700

Going from a Nightforce ATACR to a Leupold of any model would be like trading your Corvette ZR1 for a Ford Mustang V6. I get that you want better low light performance but I wouldn't sacrifice quality to get it. You basically want a similar scope with a bit bigger objective. I'd first suggest looking for a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 if a FFP reticle is a must have. You can find them used for around $1500 pretty easy and they are excellent scopes, great glass and second to none build quality. Other suggestions would be the Nightforce 4-16X50 (SFP reticle version of your current scope), NF SHV 3-10x42, or a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50, etc......

jfish

I have a nightforce nxs 3-15-50. Atacr 5-25-56. And the one above All are great. Though seems the Zeiss $600 scope I have makes me say dang. It’s more clear. Though it’s NOT a military spec or tactical duty by any means.

I also agree about NF compared to Leupold. Thanks!

Some of this questions is wanting a scope less weight but super clear.

Buckstop

I have a couple of the vx 6 3x18x50 models. Havent compared them with ziess or nightforce but they are extremely good at low light. The fire dot reticle is nice too as it doesnt over power the view. Natchez had the discountinued non HD models on clearance for awhile at really good prices.

pdsniper

I have a 5x25 ATACR second gen with the 34mm tube and its crazy clear and low light performance is better than anything I own other than my NV scope but if you want better low light performance go to a scope with a low power setting I have a Swarovski 2.5x10 on my hunting gun it works very well

jfish

The thing with NF is that it is Heavy.. 30+ oz

others I have researched are 20.

I am trying to shave as much as possible off of my hunting gun. 10-12 oz off the scope and I am cutting barrel down to 20" from 22".

Dub

Went out last year to Riverbend with buddy that eats, sleeps firearms. (NONE of his 100's of guns are safe queens)
This was his 6th time testing some of his scopes for low light/overcast ect. About 20 or so scopes set on a "scope rail" he made. Set at a 100, 300 and 600 yrds with custom targets for his testing. I would guess 40k plus worth of scopes. His eyes said Leica, Smidtibender and nightforce were the three top out of his scopes. After looking at his data he said Leica magnus was his best low light scope.
Most all of them looked great to me. :huh:

p.s His trade/work has nothing to do with firearms but has been his "hobby" for over 30yrs.

Wow.....that's some serious testing & evaluation....beyond anything I've ever seen the gun magazines or shows do.

Impressive array of optics.

My guess would have been that Schmidt & Bender would have been near the top if not the top.

Will45

What's your budget?

And do you want to treat the turrets like a fidget spinner or set and forget?

Does tube size or objective size matter?

Long action or short action rifle? Mounting space is the concern here.

Dub

the Swarovski 2.5x10 weighs very little very light scope compared to the Night Force

I've been outa scope shopping for a while now and I've gotta admit to being amazed that the range of adjustment in the scopes today....2.5-10.....impressive !

I just read an article in Rifle Shooter magazine about a new Leica Magnus that's being offered that is 1.5-10 x 42. 30mm tube and can be had with and without illumination. Unreal power range.

I have a couple rifles I want to get scopes for....but man...I just don't want to shell out big money. Looks like the good news is that even the mid-price level stuff is improving in every way, too.

lonewolf247

I’d say Swarovski Z3, in 3-10x42, or 4-12x50. I own two Swarovski habicht scopes, in those listed powers, the predecessor to the Z3, and they are great scopes. I’ve had one on my main rifle for about 20 years, and it has been flawless. I haven’t even had to make an adjustment on it in over 10 years! They are light and handy, and not bulky like the 30mm tube models, yet perform in low light, with the best out there. I have a Z3 in the box as well, just waiting for a rifle to put it on.