Mossberg 835 help

JSWOOD

Taking the ol' 835 to the turkey woods this yr for the first time. What choke and shells are giving y'all the best patterns. I'm open to shooting 3" but thinking about the 3 1/2" just for the addded distance.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I had a 835 several yrs ago and it shot 3” shells a lot better, good luck !

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Stardot .676 and #7 Hevishot. 300 pelltets in a 10" plate at 40yards. Google "Stardot choke" and there is tons of info the only down side is then finding one.

MesquiteHeat

Stardot choke if you can find one as mentioned above, if not Indian Creek makes the best one I've tried out of a handful. Search 835 and chokes, forget the fella but someone on here has shot more shell/choke combos thru an 835 than anybody...and has results to compare

ol bob

Pure gold or star dot 3 1/2 longbeard #4s

fountain

Most any choke in the 675 range with 3.5" longbeard 6s will kill as far as one should. Your shoulder will not like it though.

.."but thinking about the 3 1/2" just for the addded distance".
I just love this quote

JSWOOD

Most any choke in the 675 range with 3.5" longbeard 6s will kill as far as one should. Your shoulder will not like it though.

.."but thinking about the 3 1/2" just for the addded distance".
I just love this quote
Is that not an accurate statement on distance?

deast1988

If 2 3/4in 28ga or .410 3in kills at 50yds 3.5in isn't needed.

Lead I like 4/5 long beard 12ga mossberg id get you TruLock long beard choke. They use to have if you don't like pattern send it back. They can change constrictions for you. I think I read PureGold having similar policy.

My buddies gun shoots wicked with 3in, 3.5in blow out patterns for him.

January, there's time to get with another mossy shooter switch chokes split shells An find the winner. Plenty of time.

Smaller shot tends to be more responsive to chokes, Hevi #7, Is fairly forgiving An still throws wicked patterns through a lot of chokes.

Tungsten mix, is way more pricey then LongBeards just weigh out your pros An cons.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Most folks I know who shoot a 835 have better patterns with a 3" shell.

Could be a choke issue who knows. Finding a right choke/shell combo can be a money eater.

fountain

Is that not an accurate statement on distance?

Not entirely. It just means more powder and shot and way more kick as a result. With the smaller gauges trending heavily now, I see no reason to shoot a 3.5 any more. I once was of the belief that to had to shoot the biggest load available and I did...the heavy nitro loads

With that said, in the 835, the chamber dimensions typically shoot the 3.5 better over the 3". I shot and tested a lot with 2 different 835s over the years and found the 3.5 would shoot bethere in about every situation. I never had a suitable 3" pattern, to me.

If you're looking for a very economical and deadly load, the winchester longbeard shells are a tough one to beat. Getting into hevi shot, straight 6, straight 7, or the magnum blends, all in 3.5" configurations would be great choices and hit very hard. Available for the first time ever commercially, the tss 9s are the deadliest shells you can get. They don't come cheaply though. You would need a very open choke with them as well. The factory choke should do ok with them

Jeff Raines

If your 835 does not have the ported barrel,don't put your trigger hand thumb over the top of the stock.The kick with those 3.5's will smash your thumb into your nose causing watery eyes.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
If your 835 does not have the ported barrel,don't put your trigger hand thumb over the top of the stock.The kick with those 3.5's will smash your thumb into your nose causing watery eyes.

Listen to this man he knows of what he speaks...... Lol.

Mine shoots 3.5's way better than 3's.

geebler

Thanks for the input guys! Does anyone either load or know someone who loads the tss shells?

Federal is loading a TSS round this year; It is called heavyweight TSS and is backorderable on Cabelas.
Federal also discontinued their traditional 'heavyweight' loads.

WFL

675 normal stuff. TSS open up to 700 to 710

fullstrut

I've had my 835 for years and shoot a IC choke with #6 Win LB ammo. The best out of my gun was Win XR''s but Winchester stopped making